Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 4
04/27/11, I bought 20 of Buckeye Tobacco Settlement's zeros of '47 for 2.54475. Today, E*Trade messaged me that the bonds will be called on 03/12/20 at 14.392.

My achieved gains will beat those of most stock investors, even the FAANGers, for this simple reason: There is no inherent superiority of 'equity' over 'debt', because on a risk-adjusted basis, stocks and bonds will offer the same returns, or else the arbs step in to make it so. That's just how markets work and why a 60/40 allocation is 'robust', even though I eschew stocks entirely.

Had I known my investment in those bonds would pay off, I would have bought more. But that's exactly what cannot be known. Therefore, one's buying has to be done with 'downsides' in mind, not 'upsides'. Additionally, because I didn't want to be paying taxes on phantom interest on an issue that might blow up before maturity, I stuck them in an IRA, thinking it would be my heirs that would deal with them. Instead, I got called early and made roughly 53% per year, which is decent money, but not the best I've done with bonds.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.