Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 42
A note to all BBB table participants. A celebration for me

Just wanted to share this with my on-line friends - some of whom I may actually meet someday. As of yesterday, The NH Legislature passed a bill permitting Civil Unions. The Governor has promised to sign it. As of Jan 1, 2008 - My partner and I (of 17 years) will be able to get the legal rights afforded to most married couples because we will now be 'next-of-kin'. to wit:

1. If I die, my partner will be legally able to claim the body and make arrangements without having to find someone in my genetic family

2. If I'm incapacitated nd in the hospital my Partner can visit without having to find the contract that we've written and 'prove' that she is entitled to be there.

3. If I die, my partner will not have to pay state inheritance tax on the house which we built and own together as joint tenants with rights of survivorship because we will have a legal relationship.

Just a small example. Don't mean to make this political but this is very important to me and you're all (or y'all, or ya'll - depending on your preference and geographic location) an important part of my daily life.

Augie

**Not worrying about silly stuff anymore since 2008**
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
About time, I say!
No. of Recommendations: 8
It is a great day. Be sure to let us know if ya'll have a ceremony. I have just the right hat.

Phil
No. of Recommendations: 3
I'm happy for you, Augie! And all others this touches.

Joan
No. of Recommendations: 4
Great news, Augie! It's nice to see at least some of the states are enlightened enough to pass such legislation.

Bob
No. of Recommendations: 2
some of whom I may actually meet someday.

Well worth the trip to meet Augie in person. Regardless of the initial perception that one may be an axe murderer :)

Augie as I heard NH moving to pass this legislation, I thought of you and I am happy for you both.

Odee
I am so thrilled to read this! And I echo what has already been said.

~~ Alison
Fantastic news, Augie! What a relief for you and kudos to the state of NH.

Gayle
Augie,

I've been reading, watching and listening to the news about this momentous decision in NH. I honestly didn't think it was going to come.

Glad that it has!

Linda
who also jumped through all those same hoops and signed every piece of paper the lawyer threw at us so we could support one another.....

Partners for 18 years - civilized (through a Union) for 6 come June 30th
No. of Recommendations: 0
Congratulations!

Cindy
6 come June 30th

Six years already?!?! Wow -- I remember reading about the plans! Time sure flies!

~~ Alison
6 come June 30th

Six years already?!?! Wow -- I remember reading about the plans! Time sure flies!

~~ Alison

Was a grand time on GOLP at that time! Yep time does fly!

Linda
Augie

**Not worrying about silly stuff anymore since 2008**

WAHOO! CONGRATS!!!!!!

;)

StarWarrior Rie
Proud of NH

Congratulations!

RDW
The NH Legislature passed a bill permitting Civil Unions. The Governor has promised to sign it

Hooray! It's about time!

Christina

oldaugie:

As of Jan 1, 2008 - My partner and I (of 17 years) will be able to get the legal rights afforded to most married couples because we will now be 'next-of-kin'.

Me:

I knew in the abstract that this was a GOOD THING. But it's much more concrete when you see the effect on people you actually know.

Congratulations to you and your partner. I look forward to pictures. --Bob
BOBnumbers!

Hi.
Congratulations, Augie!

The idea of you having to wait 17 years to get the legal rights afforded to married couples (some of whom could never sustain such a long committment) is a subject for another day.

For now I'll just say hooray for NH and I'm very happy for you and your partner.

Jeanie
That is great news!

Crocket
How wonderful for you! My warmest congratulations to you both!
ChiliChild:

Hi.

Me:

Back atcha. It feels like things have been crazy busy at the office for years, and things show no signs of slowing soon. This weekend, in particular, should be lots of fun -- Ms. 63 is out of town enjoying a well-earned vacation, so I'm taking care of The Little Guy (who's seven and a half already!), and it looks like I'll be working all weekend. Any tips for keeping The Little Guy entertained in a law office? --Bob
Great news, Augie!

I've often wondered why all people in committed relationships couldn't enjoy the legal benefits that married couples have.

Grue
Any tips for keeping The Little Guy entertained in a law office?

;o) You tawkin' tuh me?
You tawkin' tuh me?

I don't know nuthin' 'bout takin' care uh kids.

But good luck!

Good to see you here.
Any tips for keeping The Little Guy entertained in a law office?

Many years ago, the partner I worked brought two or three of his five children to the office quite often. Just parked them with his secretary and let her take care of them.

One day I needed to make copies of something and when I went to the copy room, there was the little boy, photocopying his hand. After waiting for a minute or two, I politely asked him if I could make some copies. He said no. So I (a little more firmly) told him that I needed to use the machine and he could continue copying his hand when I was done. He turned around and, in a very snotty tone, said "do you know who my Daddy is?" To which I replied "yes, and I'm going to go tell him that you're being a bad boy". He then let me use the machine.

I often wonder if he ever told his dad about the mean lady in the copy room.

Christina
That's wonderful news, Augie. Congrats to you both.

Linda
Mazel Tov to you both.

A brand new day indeed.

bigpix
Augie as I heard NH moving to pass this legislation, I thought of you and I am happy for you both.

Same here.

bigpix
Great news Augie...thanks for sharing!

liz
"Any tips for keeping The Little Guy entertained in a law office?
--Bob"

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

There is absolutely no way to answer this question
with a
straight
face.

Howie52