Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
A new wrinkle on this old clutch issue. The clutch is now reliably functioning fine, but has started to squeak; every time I push the clutch pedal in, it makes a squeaking noise. I pulled out the repair manual and found two points in the clutch system where grease is recommended, the spring on the pedal, and the ball-joint-like thing just outside the transmission where the hydraulic pressure is converted to movement of a lever that goes into the transmission. I greased those two points well, but it didn't help solve the squeaking noise.

I'm thinking the squeaking is probably coming from inside the transmission, probably that bushing that was likely hanging up in the past preventing the clutch from grabbing.

The squeaking does not really cause any problems; my only concern is that it will annoy a potential buyer when I go to sell the otherwise sound car in a few months.

I suppose the "right" thing to do is to take apart the clutch and grease that bushing and/or replace bearings (and change the clutch plate while we're in there), but I don't think there's any urgency to doing that... right?

Print the post  

Announcements

Beware Flood-Damaged Cars
Know what you are getting, don't get stuck with a Katrina victim. Check these links before you buy.
Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.