Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
A number of things carry over from one tax year to another.

Such as:
The cost basis of your IRAs if you have begun withdrawals.
If you have paid AMT due to income being exceptionally high one year, you may get it back in a subsequent year.
General Business Credit items.
Tax refunds.
Capital losses, if you had more than you could take in one year, there can be carry-over. Short and long term losses are reported separately. These carry over until exhausted or you die. In the meantime you can deduct $3000 annually.

To reconstruct deductions to which you may be entitled without past records involving any of those could be a real chore. I'd be lost without last year's tax return. Having someone else prepare the taxes wouldn't help--I'd still have to provide that person with the numbers!

If you don't have any of these carry-overs, you might not need your old return.

Best wishes, Chris

Best wishes, Chris
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.