No. of Recommendations: 86
I'm not sure how long I've been posting here - perhaps over 10 years. I've very much enjoyed doing this, and probably learned almost as much when I am posting as when I read others' posts. But it does take time, and I find I have less and less of it these days. I don't know whether it's because of charitable, familial or other things I seem to have "volunteered" for, or just that ageing slows us all down to some extent.

It seems to me that my posts probably provide lesser interest now than previously, as the Board's focus would appear to be on income-generating investments more than on equity REITs. The scarcity of posts on Simon's offer to buy Macerich made this point, I think. I am not, of course, criticizing; the typical equity REIT yields something like 3.5%, and I suspect that these kinds of yields just don't provide enough current retirement income for many of us. But it's with equity REITs that I have been able to contribute most.

That said, I am still going to try to find the time to post here from time to time. It just won't be as often as the weekly schedule I've followed in the past. Also, as I have received many "Recommmended" clicks on posts that were originally written for SNL Financial's "Block Party," I will post as many of them as I can.

Finally, if there's a really important thread on which there is much disagreement, and you feel my views would really help, please send me an email (a few of you regulars know my email address) and I will add my 2 cents to the discussion.

Ralph
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 66
Ralph,
A twinge of trepidation ran through me upon reading your first sentence. I have often thought of what a tragic loss it would be for all of us here if for any reason you stopped posting. You are literally the heart and soul of this board.
I come to this board to learn about REITS. Because of tax ramifications I have no interest in MLP's. Naturally I am interested in other sources of income, but I come here for REITS.
It seems to me that my posts probably provide lesser interest now than previously

With all due respects Ralph---baloney. When you provide insightful comment or suggest that a certain reit should be looked into, bells sound and sirens screech.
The highlight of many of my weekends is Sunday night when I can go and see if Ralph posted.
I understand and respect your personal need to cut back on your time with us. Please try to check in at least once a month or so.
Your friend and admirer
Gene
No. of Recommendations: 9
Ralph - I value your holdings posts, with your investment thoughts on specific holdings,and hope you will continue to give those updates, even if they are not as frequent.
No. of Recommendations: 11
Ralph, I'm more of a lurker on this board, since I am a complete nubie about REITs but I feel compelled to write a response. I have really really appreciated every one of your posts, and not just because I have big soft spot for golden retrievers. I have learned a huge amount about REITs, smiled to myself frequently, purchased my first REITs, and sometimes even laughed out loud in reaction to your posts. Please post as frequently as your time and energy allow. I will miss your insights, humor, and wisdom.

David
No. of Recommendations: 8
Ralph,

Your contributions are appreciated and valued. I have bought two editions of your books. I have coat-tailed you with KIM, GGP, VNO, SLG, VTR, ROIC, and GKK. Oh and Chelsea which I don't remember the ticker symbol.

I made good money on 7 of the 8 which I consider to be a very strong winning percentage. 3 of the 8 I more than doubled my money on.

I have reduced exposure to REITs because of valuation and interest rate exposure.

But I still read all your posts always looking for good ideas...

I wish I had more to contribute but I am not a pro. Just a student learning as much as I can.

Rob
No. of Recommendations: 10
Ralph,

I want to add my voice to this discussion, not only because of the high value I put on your posts, but for personal reason also. I don't post often on this board mostly because of the reasons you cited. However, that doesn't mean I don't come over every day to read the pearls of REIT wisdom of yours and the many others who are knowledgeable in the world of real estate.
But I also have a personal reason -- your long (seems that way) departed Sammy. As you may recall, the greatest gift my wife and I gave to our grown son was a Golden also named Sammy. We communicated about the matter some years ago. His Sammy is now also departed, but replaced by two more Golden's like you. In some way, I feel that we're kindred spirits.
Please stay around.

Bill
Hi Ralph,

Just wanted to add that I agree with all of the previous post as to how much you and your posted are valued. When I open this site the first thing I do is look for your new posts - if there are none I start reading others. But I always check to see if you've put anything on the board first.

I do not post very much because I'm not a pro as many others are but I've learned so much from the information posted and from you personally. I've purchased two of your books and read them, and many of my REIT holdings are because of your guidance.

So, we all respect your time and other commitments, but I hope you continue be to be member and join us when you can. You have truly been a leader and valuable member of this great group.

Thanks for all you've done.
Gary
No. of Recommendations: 7
Ralph

For many years now I have followed your Sunday posts and have gotten many good ideas. Your insights have made this by far the most valuable board which I have followed. I very much hope that you will not forget us.

Martin
No. of Recommendations: 6
Ralph, I want too want to express my appreciation for all that you taught us. I appreciated (and made money) on your suggestions but more than that you taught me how to look at REITs, the importance of NAV and much more. And your always calm and courteous posts set an example for all to follow. So attend to all the things you have "volunteered" for, but please drop in when you have the time.

klee12
Ralph-

the number of recs you got is a testament to the large number of lurkers, including myself. Your impact does go beyond the people who actively post. We will all look forward to your periodic posts just as we have for years. I am only wish I could provide value in return but most of my experience is in options and portfolio design so I typically have to refrain from posting on this board as I don't feel I have anything relevant to add here but it sure is a fantastic board. Thanks for the time you have spent here over the years. I first read your posts in the year 2000 or thereabouts.

-Brian
No. of Recommendations: 9
Ralph, I've been following your insightful, articulate, knowledgeable, and helpful posts since before the turn of the century (back on aol.com). It always amazed me that someone of your expertise was so willing to give your time to educate and help others.

I, and I'm sure many others, have been very fortunate to follow some of your advice, and profit handsomely from it. It may not have always been 100% prescient and accurate, but better than any other advice I've ever read or received.

However, as someone who is suffering from the same lack of time as you are, I entirely understand and respect your choice to not post weekly (as much as that pains me to write). It will just make your posts all the more valuable when we do receive them.

Here's hoping you will continue to share with us your thoughts and ideas when you can, through the rest of this decade, into the next, and beyond.

Ken
No. of Recommendations: 2
Ralph:

Sorry to be later than most others to respond to your post, but I've been away from the boards for a while. It would be a real loss for most everyone on this board if you ceased to post your thoughts on REITS. You are the most knowledgeable poster here imo.

Many of us at your initiation have purchased several REITS over the years and most all have proven to be winners, so it would be tragic for many of us for you to cease and desist.

All of us lead very busy lives and must make choices concerning our time, so I do understand what you say. Speaking for myself, I only post when I find I do have the time to do it and any post not germane to what I might want to invest in, I skip over.

Perhaps others on this board interested in MLP's could indicate in the heading that the post concerns an MLP, so those not interested in MLP's could simply just skip over it.

Anyway, just wanted to say along with many others that I will sorely miss your weekly posts as well. Best personal regards,

Gracepeace
Relaying a message to Ralph from Tucker...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8bBByJ1RunbMkNaNVJZVC0tdTA...
No. of Recommendations: 50
A good friend of mine (who posts here) sent me an email late yesterday, asking me to take a look at the posts on our Board on this thread.

Well, my friends, I am pretty much at a loss for words - which doesn't happen to me very often. And, truth to tell, I am a bit more than a little embarrassed. I very much thank you for having taken the time to let me know that you have appreciated my scribblings.

As I readily acknowledge, I don't get 'em all right, but am really delighted that my postings have been, at times, profitable, as well as appreciated, and that they have contributed to investor knowledge about this really rewarding (most of the time) and interesting asset class. Part of my mission in life, besides being a good husband, father and "dog parent," is to make people aware of the investment opportunities in REITs; that is why I wrote that book. There is still a ton of misinformation out there about them, and anything I can do to increase our understanding I do with pleasure.

And, in response to your posts, I will be sure to continue to post here as often as I'm able to - albeit probably not weekly as in the past. One possibility is to post more irregularly and with fewer words, and I will give that some thought. And I will, at the least, post my writings for SNL Financial after they've been out there for a couple of weeks' time. Meanwhile, if you have a specific question you think I can help with, please put my name (Ralph, Reitnut, Reitdog, whatever) in the caption of the post, which will flag my attention when I drop by on occasion.

Ralph
Dude, you made my retirement.
No. of Recommendations: 40
10 years REITNUT? You must be kidding!!

Your first post on this post was number 588 in August of 1999. Before that you were posting on the AOL equivalent, which was shut down in favor of being on the wide-open world wide web and we all moved over. I dropped into this world in September of 1998 and you and many others who are still posting today were already chatting away. So it's at least 16 years, because I have been reading your posts here for 15 1/2 years. I vividly remember my surprise back in 1998 when it dawned on me that the "Ralph" I was chatting with online was the Ralph Block who had written the book on REITs I had recently read. I could not believe my good fortune.

You have made an enormous difference for the better in my life. Thank you, thank you, thank you. I made a huge commitment to REITs in 1998 because I could not believe how cheap they were and corresponding with you gave me the confidence to do what I wanted to do, which was jump in with both feet. You were 70 or 80 percent invested in REITs and it was comforting to know I was not the only one throwing diversification out the window. The ensuing years were very, very financially rewarding as the worm eventually turned and REITs took off, and you helped enormously in helping me pick mostly the right REITs and maintain the confidence to stay in for the whole ride. When the whole economy crashing in 2008, you led the way into REIT preferreds, and another great ride to riches.

I think one reason we don't have as much discussion of equity REITs as we used to is the demise of Realty Stock Review. Whatever anyone may say about Barry, he sure gave us stuff to talk about.

See REITNUT's first post on this board:
http://boards.fool.com/just-having-returned-from-a-vacation-...
Whoa! Like Jim Luckett, along with the rest of you, I too will miss REITNUT. I have the brown one, the blue one, and the black one, all "Investing in REITS" by Ralph Block. None has contributed more to the understanding of the REIT world than our pal Ralph, who has been a huge contributor of his time and energy, both to this board and to the greater REIT community.

I too would like to hear something from Barry Vinocur who wrote the Realty Stock Review, I still have a copy from 1999, when misunderstood REITS were selling at a discount to their NAV, with high quality REITS conservatively yielding 5%, while growing FFO on average 5%. I miss his combative nature. Once I used the term, "skin in the game," only to have quick warning from Barry, that he had invented the term.

It was a good run and Ralph was a great mentor to fledgling investors, this one included. Pariseur, RDonohue, Jim Luckett, and LansRes, along with the Vinocur were among the many who made this board a gem in the early days.

Best Regards,
Gear
Hey Gear! He's not gone, just scarce! We just got his great post on LHO (and his commentary on the mall sector was also post "personal note" post). I hope this one remains in the category of "How can we miss him if he won't go away?"
Thanks so much for the very kind words, Jim - I am blushing as I type. And I am delighted that I was able to make a very modest contribution to your financial security.

I am doubtful that we will ever find the REIT bargains that we did way back then, but I am as confident as ever that they will provide excellent, low-risk (albeit sometimes too volatile) total returns for many, many more years.

R.
Thanks to you, too, Gear - I enjoyed the trip down Memory Lane! But, you may not miss me all that much - reports of my final departure, paraphrasing Mark Twain, are a bit exaggerated. :-)

R.