Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
A pharmacist's job is to fill prescriptions written by doctors. Period.
. . .
Pharmacists must fill any prescription requested unless there is a scientifically justified objective reason for not doing so.

If a person is unwilling to accept that role, he should not become a pharmacist. Period.

It just disturbs me. I guess consciencious objectors get to get out of their deal altogether, and you think pharmacists should do the same. In my profession, we can withdraw from a particular case without giving up the practice, which just makes more sense to me. You can do the good of your profession without those parts that you think are wrong. You have a right to counsel, but not necessarily me.

In your view, should any professional be required, by force of law, to fulfill or provide any service that is legal and desired by a client?

I found this which seems to just provide more fodder for argument:

http://www.ashp.org/bestpractices/ethics/Ethics_End_Code.pdf

"III. A pharmacist respects the autonomy and dignity of each patient.

A pharmacist promotes the right of self-determination and recognizes individual self-worth by encouraging patients to participate in decisions about their health. A pharmacist communicates with patients in terms that are understandable. In all cases, a pharmacist respects personal and cultural differences among patients."

I think the other side would go with this one:

VII. A pharmacist serves individual, community, and societal needs.

The primary obligation of a pharmacist is to individual patients. However, the obligations of a pharmacist may at times extend beyond the individual to the community and society. In these situations, the pharmacist recognizes the responsibilities that accompany these obligations and acts accordingly.

eag
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.