Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I have a very approximate understanding of how derivatives work based on my recollection of news from 2004.

I have a specific question of current interest to me.

Is there any way that a municipal bond based money market mutual fund could separate the long-term capital gains generated by prudent asset management from the remainder of the fund and sell them to investors eager to own capital gains because of their favorable tax treatment? I would like to retain the other income the investment generates, income that is taxed as 'ordinary income."

From my perspective the income tax filing complications I experience because I have to recognize a less-than $100 long-term capital gain end up costing me way more than the value received.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.