Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 4
A quarterly update this year as we approach FIRE in Sept 2015...

Successfully rented out ~600sqft of our house for a little over $2500/month 12-month lease, tenants have moved-in. Spent about $15k so far to get the 2 units ready. We still have well over 2000sqft to live-in 4bed/3bath, and are now focused on getting the back 1/1 ~600sqft unit ready to rent, which will cost around another $5k. We plan to rent this 2nd portion out closer to our FIRE date, but I want it ready to show in August to give us time to find the right tenants. We are hoping to get as close to another $2k/month as possible. Then the remaining portion of the house will be for a close family member who will act as our property manager and pay a modest monthly rental payment. PITI is around $3700/month, so we will be cash-flowing perhaps close to $1k/month to cover repairs/vacancies/profit etc. This house is turning into a great investment for us.

My side business has kept steady each month earning about $300/month for about 3 hours of work. Hoping to keep this solid as a side income in the future, as I can do this work from anywhere in the world, as long as I have an internet connection. I could easily expand as well in the future, but want to keep this as low key as possible.

Then it looks like we are off to Europe for a year or more in September! Already booking various travel segments.

--
whyohwhyoh
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.