Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 3
A question along the kines of, "What is the difference between a clip and a magazine?" is more oriented to general gun knowledge.

Interesting question Mike. What is your answer? - voelkels


I am hesitant to answer since my meager knowledge of firearms pales compared to yours but here goes.....

Both are used to speed up the reloading of a firearm.

A clip grips the cartridge by its shoulder. The majority of the cartridge remains visible. These one used with revolvers are called moon slips or speed loaders. The ones used with rifles are called stripper clips. The ones used with revolvers are pretty common. Stripper clips I think are pretty rare these days and were used primarily with older style military weapons.

Magazines, on the other hand, completely encase the cartridge. These can either be box magazines used for semi-automatic pistols or for rifles. Or they can be tubular magazines used for shotguns and if I recall correctly, some .22's used tubular magazines and maybe some still do. Box magazines may be internal to the rifle where you insert one cartridge at a time into the magazine. Other magazines are detachable where you load them apart from the firearm and then insert the magazine into the rifle or semi-automatic pistol.
Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.