Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
A quick link for those not familiar with SI Pro: http://www.aaii.com/store/sipro/index.cfm

Interesting results. I definitely agree that attempting to find companies that exhibit positive Earnings Power characteristics has been one of the more challenging aspects for those of us with limited time. I had thrown together a quick SI Pro screen a while back based on the 5-minute test and the shortcut enterprising and defensive profits. I kept meaning to back and look at enhancements, but for now the screen parameters look like the following:

• PE > 0
• Intangibles Assets Ratio <= 20
• LT Debt/equity Q1 <= 75
• Sales-Growth 5yr >= 30
• Short interest % of float M1 <= 15
• Defensive Profit (30 seconds) > 0
• Enterprising Profit (30 sec.) >= 18
• Market Cap Q1 >= 100
• Price/Sales <= 2

I have no idea why I restricted Price/Sales, I think it must have been to cut down on the number of companies (83 pass without it). I should probably throw that out, but with it here are the passing companies:

AGP COCO MT PKZ
AH CTGI MTXX PPC
ARO EASI MVK PRVD
CEDC EGY NMHC TMG
CMN FTO NOBL UNTD
CNC MDF ODSY VLO

I don't know if including any of the 5-minute parameters in your screen would make sense or not (only PKZ overlaps and CECO without the P/S restriction). I have seen a few companies that miss one or two of the basic tests but still show good enterprising and defensive results. Keep posting the results, I am eager to see how well screening techniques work.

-Daniel
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.