Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0

Hello fellow CAPS players!

I thought I'd just write a quick little note letting everyone know how things were going in my semi-retirement - and the short answer is that they are going well.

I had my second surgery, in which a good portion of my left humerus was removed and replaced with a combination of titanium and donated bone, in mid-February.  It was a bit of a struggle having my arm immobilized in a big sling for six weeks (especially when I slept!), but the sling's been off for about a week and a half now and I'm back to typing with two hands.

I'll begin physical therapy soon.  When people ask how my arm is doing I tell them that it's mostly just for decoration at this point (since I have almost no mobility in my shoulder), but I'm getting around.  The day my sling came off for good I went out and bought a steering wheel ball so I can drive one-handed... it's really nice to be driving again.  The surgery, and the recovery, sure reminded me just how much I had taken for granted - things like being able to drive, eat with a knife and fork, tie my shoes - it's great to be able to do them all again.

The surgery went quite well though, and the recovery, while slower than I'd sometimes like, is going as planned - there haven't been any complications or setbacks.  I'll be going in for additional tests fairly frequently, especially in the beginning, to make sure that nothing's popped-up somewhere else - but as of today there are no real signs that the cancer has spread.

I'm going to stay semi-retired for probably just a little while longer, though.  I'm just getting back into my normal routine, and my father is in the final stages of his battle with his form of cancer and entered hospice care this past weekend so I'll be spending time with him and the rest of my family.

Thanks to everyone for your kind thoughts, prayers, and wishes.

Regards,

Russell (a.k.a. TMFEldrehad)

Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.