Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0

Hello fellow CAPS players!

I thought I'd just write a quick little note letting everyone know how things were going in my semi-retirement - and the short answer is that they are going well.

I had my second surgery, in which a good portion of my left humerus was removed and replaced with a combination of titanium and donated bone, in mid-February.  It was a bit of a struggle having my arm immobilized in a big sling for six weeks (especially when I slept!), but the sling's been off for about a week and a half now and I'm back to typing with two hands.

I'll begin physical therapy soon.  When people ask how my arm is doing I tell them that it's mostly just for decoration at this point (since I have almost no mobility in my shoulder), but I'm getting around.  The day my sling came off for good I went out and bought a steering wheel ball so I can drive one-handed... it's really nice to be driving again.  The surgery, and the recovery, sure reminded me just how much I had taken for granted - things like being able to drive, eat with a knife and fork, tie my shoes - it's great to be able to do them all again.

The surgery went quite well though, and the recovery, while slower than I'd sometimes like, is going as planned - there haven't been any complications or setbacks.  I'll be going in for additional tests fairly frequently, especially in the beginning, to make sure that nothing's popped-up somewhere else - but as of today there are no real signs that the cancer has spread.

I'm going to stay semi-retired for probably just a little while longer, though.  I'm just getting back into my normal routine, and my father is in the final stages of his battle with his form of cancer and entered hospice care this past weekend so I'll be spending time with him and the rest of my family.

Thanks to everyone for your kind thoughts, prayers, and wishes.

Regards,

Russell (a.k.a. TMFEldrehad)

Print the post Back To Top
All the best to you and your family.

Glad to hear you are on the way to recovery.  Last year, I fractured my right clavicle when I crashed during a bike race.  While not as serious as what you are facing, my right arm was "mostly for decoration" for a few weeks.

Yep, I'm right handed. 

It was humbling to ask my wife to help me tie my shoes and button a shirt, etc.

"One rarely appreciates the water until the well is dry."
         -- Confuscious

All the best for a speedy and complete recovery!

I'll be praying for you, your dad, and your entire family. Cherish every moment that you get to spend with them.

All the best!

Hang in there Russell, we're pulling for you.

One question, will your arm set off the metal detector at the airport? 

Russell, it's great to have you back, if only (for now) for just a bit. You have all your priorities in order -- admirable. May your final days with your father provide him a good sendoff, and you and your family a tighter bond. Fool on. --David

Before your father or you give up on treatment, review the link to DCA treatment. As a molecular biologist, I think this approach makes sense, and is probably more valid than the mutagenic hypothosis.

Since the cost is almost zero, and the side effects are zero, there is no reason not to try before saying goodbye. 

http://www.thedcasite.com/dca_how_it_works.html

I wish you luck and will pray for your family's recovery.

Bob 

Russell,

I know we don't know each other personally here on the Fool, but I can tell the good guys from the ok guys.  You're a good guy and I hope the best for you and your family. I hope and pray this darn thing we call cancer can be cured for good someday.

Mike

Russell, so good to hear from you, and to learn that your recovery is going so well.  My thoughts and prayers are with you, your father, and the entire Eldrehad clan. --jk

Hi Russell-

Just wanted to say "thanks" for being such an inspiration of excellence - stock-wise, life journey-wise through your positive spirit.

So sorry to hear about your father. I lost someone so dear to me last year -very suddenly in an accident. It is a gift to have time to say goodbye.  A long time ago, I read a tiny book written by Elisabeth Kubler-Ross that was a compilation of hospice workers experiences. I can't remember if it was "To Live Until We Say Goodbye" or "On Death and Dying", but it made an impact on me from that point on--such a tiny book.  It helped in the acceptance of my recent loss. Half.com has all of her books. Keep us posted on your recovery.

Live simply, love generously, care deeply, speak kindly and leave the rest to God-

Glad to hear you're recovering! I look forward to the day when you can begin trouncing us all soundly again!

I was delighted to check in with CAPS today and find a fresh posting from #1 TMFEldrehad!  Your post was a lot like life -- excellent news about you tempered by the sad news of your dad.  We are all pulling for your complete recovery and return to our community.

Psalm 23 goes here.  (I just deleted it but I highly recommend it). 

I don't know what possessed me to want to reference Psalm 23, yet it seemed appropriate.   Even if we don't agree with everything in the Bible, there are many passages that can have an impact on our relationship with the spirit world -- even God the Father, whomever s/he may be.       

Keep truckin' on, TMFEldrehad.  You're a good instructor on how to pick for, or against, certain equity investments.  And, it seems like you're a great, loving member of your family.  Thank you for inspiring us, in so many ways.

God bless your challenges and your time on the planet, as well as your time with your earthly father.  Ain't nobody getting off the planet alive... so it's good when we can cherish the moment, every day.    

Russell, good to hear from you.  Even better to hear the recovery is going well. 
As my grandfather would say,

Persevere! 

How precious are the gifts that come from strangers.

All this genuine caring. All this respectful sharing. All this sense of community … of “family”. All this bonding between folks who have never “met”.

It is absolutely moving. Empowering, almost.

Russell, you are a loved and lucky man. You must have done something right along the way!

pennysplants

Russell, it is great to hear that your health is improving and that you're able to get around now.  Keep the faith and keep getting those checkups.  Of course your progress is slower than you'd like it to be, but just keep working on it, and it will come with time.  Best wishes to you.  You're #1 on so many levels!

I'll write my thoughts about your father in response to your blog on him.

DB Bob

Good luck on your recovery.  You seem like a high class guy :)

BTW I thought as you get your situation together that you would be interested in some stats on your history.

In 548 picks in this CAPS game you've held them for 59681 pick-days total. In summing your return on each pick you get a total of 4417.44 points (when compared to the performance of the mattress strategy). That's an average 8.06% return with an average holding time of 108.9 days. That's a median 10.59% return with a median holding time of 47 days. Essentially you have an average daily pick return of 0.074% and a median daily pick return of 0.225%. Times the average by 365 and you get 27.02%. I wouldn't rely on the median daily number for calculating an annual average because good stock pickers tend to unload more stocks after big moves up than lesser-skilled pickers. 

Fatal flaw in my spreadsheet yesterday!! The 4417.44 number was based on today's price for your 348 ended picks, not your ending price. The real numbers on return are a total of 3242.25 points -vs- mattress. That's an average 5.92% return with an average holding time of 108.9 days. Your median return is 8.37% with a median holding time of 47 days. Essentially you have an average daily pick return of 0.054% and if you multiply this by 365 you get an annual average of 19.76%. That's still good :)  

Hmmmm that's an idea for analysis. What is the average daily after-pick return on the portfolio of the 348 ends you've had? How does this compare with future additions? A good picker with a strategy of owning 20 stocks will sell one stock and buy another one because they think the other one will give them a better return going forward.   

To TMFEldrehad...

Russell, I am new to the CAPS program and have spent some time reading the comments in this section. One thing that comes through loud and clear is that you are such an important part of all that takes place here.So many people just love you and are concerned about you. Draw on all of this love and focused energy...and keep the ties strong. Everone is pulling for you...including me.

Best wishes and blessings from a fellow survivor....Richard

To TMFEldrehad...

Russell, I am new to the CAPS program and have spent some time reading the comments in this section. One thing that comes through loud and clear is that you are such an important part of all that takes place here.So many people just love you and are concerned about you. Draw on all of this love and focused energy...and keep the ties strong. Everone is pulling for you...including me.

Best wishes and blessings from a fellow survivor....Richard