Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
I got a call on my telephone today that I would normally have ignored, but since the caller-id shown was my name and my telephone number, and since I was bored, I answered it.

It seems "Windows Support" was going to cut off my computer because I had been hacked and was spamming from several different continents. They put me in touch with their technical support department. The same voice answered me in the technical support department, but she then turned me over to the technician who spoke with an indian accent. He explained that my Windows computer was spanning the internet ...

I wondered how long I could play around with him, so I asked him which computer he meant. I pointed out I have three computers. (That was actually true at one time, but not right now.) I was going to ask him for the IP address of the computer that was spamming, but his script could not deal with that, so he just hung up.

What interests me slightly was how he put my name and telepone number in the caller ID. But that is pretty much a confession that he was up to no good, and I would not even have needed to answer the phone. But if I call my home phone number from my home phone, all I get is a busy signal. I guess he was too dumb to think about that.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.