Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 19
A tax RETURN is a document you send to the government.
That's the title of the form. In big letters. At the top.

If you have overpaid your taxes, and get money back, that is a REFUND.

Preach it, brother!

In my office, it goes something like this:

Client: I haven't got my return yet.

Peter: I finished your return last week.

Client: Yes, but I haven't got my return yet.

Peter: I gave you a copy when I finished it.

C: OK. But I don't have my return.

P: Do you need another copy?

C: I need my money.

P: I see. You haven't got the refund.

C: Yes, that's what I said. I don't have my return yet.

P: (Attempts to strangle the client through the phone while still sounding pleasant.) It takes the IRS about 4 weeks to mail your refund check.

C: Can I have them directly deposit the return?

P: (Looks for knife to slit wrists. Secretary has wisely hidden them all by now.) I asked if you wanted a direct deposit when we did your return. It's too late to get a direct deposit now.

C: Ok. Can California do a direct deposit of my return?

P: (Jumps out the window. Unfortunately, he's on the first floor and only manages a few scratches on the bushes outside the window.)

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.