Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 3
Officers, sergeants resign en masse from Portland’s Rapid Response Team crowd control unit.

The unprecedented move by about 50 officers, detectives and sergeants to disband their own team came a day after a team member, Officer Cody Budworth, was indicted, accused of fourth-degree assault stemming from a baton strike against a protester last summer.

You really should read this. It helps explain why I would never advise a young person to go into law enforcement.

“Our RRT members do not volunteer to have Molotov cocktails, fireworks, explosives, rocks, bottles, urine, feces and other dangerous objects thrown at them,” wrote Daryl Turner, then president of the union. He noted that the team members volunteer for the work without any specialty pay.

“Nor do they volunteer to have threats of rape, murder and assaults on their families hurled at them. They do not volunteer to suffer serious injuries, to be subjected to warrantless criticism and face allegations by elected officials, or to suffer through baseless complaints and lengthy investigations devoid of due process.”
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 24
GrumpyOldGuy: You really should read this. It helps explain why I would never advise a young person to go into law enforcement.

No link for us to read, though I found the incident that led the grand jury to indict Budworth through local media:

A video shared on Twitter caught an officer, identified at the time only by the No. 37 written on his helmet, running and hitting the back of a protester’s head with his baton on Southeast Hawthorne Boulevard near the Multnomah Building.

The officer knocked the woman down and struck her in the head with the baton again while she was down, according to the video.

The Police Bureau found the strike to the head was “not intentional” and therefore not considered lethal force, and the Independent Police Review office viewed the strike as a “push,” compliance officer Dennis Rosenbaum noted in his report.

But Rosenbaum said the video did not support either stance and that police should have initiated a deadly force investigation. Police started an inquiry as a result — though not for several weeks, a federal Justice Department report noted.

I would advise an officer not to take a baton to the back of the head of someone who is fleeing and not a threat... and then not to crack her across the face after you've knocked her to the ground where she lays defenseless.

But maybe that's just me.

https://www.oregonlive.com/crime/2021/06/grand-jury-indicts-...

Video of Budworth hitting the woman, Teri Jacobs, from behind and then again across the face when she's on the ground: https://twitter.com/Johnnthelefty/status/1295965796426891265...
No. of Recommendations: 4
I was in law enforcement for nearly 30 years. I have to wonder what the **** kind of training some of these officers are getting!
No. of Recommendations: 6
Do you have any idea how heavy a police baton is? You could easily kill someone hitting them on the head with one.