Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 5
Do you recall what you were doing on November 22, 1963? I will always remember working in an office, when the typewriters all stopped and I started hearing women crying!!! Then one came bursting into our office and blurted "The president's been shot!!!" My wife and I remember that we both wept, off and on, for three days back then.

Other momentous events over the years have been upsetting, too, of course. The day the Twin Towers were hit, for example, we were watching a morning news show, and they were talking abut how awful it was that the first building was hit, when, over their shoulders, out their window, we could see another plane roar into the other building -- in real time! Then we all knew the first was no accident!

Things you never forget.

Vermonter
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
People say Pearl Harbor was another one of those although that was before I was born.

Another for me was death of Diana.
No. of Recommendations: 4
Several others come to mind...

Bobby Kennedy...

Martin Luther King Jr...

The Challenger disaster...

9/11...

And so on.

But JFK's assassination hit us especially hard, somehow, as newly married kids starting out, in our first jobs and first apartment, having passed through the scary Cuban Missile threat (youngsters today have no idea just how terrifying THAT was!), and because the "Camelot" label always seemed appropriate.

Vermonter
No. of Recommendations: 0
But JFK's assassination hit us especially hard, somehow, as newly married kids starting out, in our first jobs and first apartment, having passed through the scary Cuban Missile threat (youngsters today have no idea just how terrifying THAT was!), and because the "Camelot" label always seemed appropriate.

Vermonter

Vermonter, you old fart! You are almost as old as I am. I was born when Pearl Harbor came, but have no memory of it.

CNC
No. of Recommendations: 3
I found it sad that there was no mention whatsoever of the JFK assassination on the news today... Nothing.

Just a lot of junk and never-ending, idiotic ads, of course.

Oh well.

Vermonter (OF)
Things you never forget.

JFK Assassination: I was coming down the stairs going to gym class while in the 6th grade at Woodlawn grade school. A tall skinny girl classmate, Patty, was announcing it to everyone.

1986 Challenger explosion. Was in the patient waiting room at Hill AFB hospital when it came on the large room TV, interrupting all other programming.

Lady Diana auto death. Was at an auto museum somewhere in Pennsylvania, on vacation.

World Trade Center airplane crashes. DW and I were on our exercise equipment in our exercise room in our current home in Vancouver, when the radio announcer mentioned an airplane had hit the WTC. We stopped and went down and turned on the TV.

Bobby Kennedy assassination. Don't remember where I was, but watched it on TV shortly after it happened.

MLK assassination. Don't remember where I was.

Assassination attempt of Reagan. Don't remember where I was

So why do we remember so vividly some unexpected tragedies not directly related to our personal lives, while not others?

BruceM
I'm surprised Trump isn't tweeting that these impeachment hearings are just like "trying to assassinate me like they did JFK"
I remember only a few yrs ago... 2014 maybe... NBC ran a whole day of the actual news coverage of the assassination "as it happened." Not that long ago. And today, as you say, not even a casual reference
FCorelli writes,

I remember only a few yrs ago... 2014 maybe... NBC ran a whole day of the actual news coverage of the assassination "as it happened." Not that long ago. And today, as you say, not even a casual reference.

</snip>

That may have been the 50th anniversary of the assassination. That's what prompted the whole day of TV news coverage. Same thing with the 50th anniversary of the moon landing this year.

intercst
AH! Yes, that was it. The 50th
Do you recall what you were doing on November 22, 1963?

Probably getting my diaper changed.

PSU
"Do you recall what you were doing on November 22, 1963?

Probably getting my diaper changed.

PSU "

All day?????

Howie52
That would have been a tragic day for all involved.
Do you recall what you were doing on November 22, 1963?

Yes, it's one of "those" days that you don't forget. I was in junior high and the news must have gotten out to some of the kids but not in PE where I was. As I was walking to my next class I remember hearing rumors among the other students that something had happened to the president but it wasn't until we were settled into class that the school made an announcement over the loud speaker that Kennedy had been shot and had died. This was the last class of the day and everyone seemed so quiet on the bus ride home. We were living just outside of Dallas at that time in a little town called Richardson, TX. I remember we didn't have school that next Monday because of the funeral.

Utahtea
All day?????

Could be. I am FOS. But I don't recall much since I was less than 2 months old.

PSU
was in high school. Announced over the PA system - which was unusual during the day.

Watched moon landings live....

and the CHallenger disaster..... and the one after......it came down in pieces across east TX.....

t.