No. of Recommendations: 0
A2, I agree and find myself in a similar situation. I grew up on a poor farm and started summer jobs at 12, bought all my school clothes, etc. and paid my own way through college. I am curious how old your kids our? With a high school junior, I find the going very difficult because of what most families provide for their kids. It puts more pressure on your kids to conform and creates even less understanding by them of what you are trying to teach. Why should they do it on their own when their peers just ask their parents and usually get it? And, the parents are even pushing Johnny and Susie to have and be the best. It seems that the line between teaching strong financial values to your kids and causing alienation that can severly damage your relationship is a very fine one.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.