Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 17
We have subscribed to AARP foe years. I basically enjoy their magazine and quarterly bulletins, but you have to take what they say with a grain of salt, and be prepared to substitute your own common sense sometimes.

The latest thing was something about 99 ways to save money. One item in there said "nothing ever goes bad in the refrigerator". Really? What world does he live in? Plenty of things will eventually go bad in there if not used reasonably soon!

I also hate the damned "bounce back" cards in the magazine. I dump or cut them all out before reading, because it's too damned hard to read with those cards in there.

Some of their advertisers also seem to me to be as phony as a 3-dollar bill, but, again, we all need to use our own common sense at all times.

Finally, I guess we're weird, but all the observations about needing to be surrounded by people and activities all the time makes me shake my head. No thanks! We'll choose if or when we want to be "entertained" and how we do it, thanks. We mostly enjoy being left alone to do what we wish, without people all around us -- as I have said many times. And I know we're not alone in that, at least hereabouts.

Vermonter
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.