Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
Abortion

As a libertarian, your stand on this issue will depend solely on the definition of a human life that the state is charge with protecting. I believe it's not a life until it escapes from the womb and takes a breath, but I sincerely respect those of you who have a different definition. It should be decided in the legislative branch, probably on a state level. I don't see a justification for Roe v. Wade in the U.S. Constitution.

Drugs

Well, I really don't care about drug abusers, they can be left to their own fate. And it's none of my business to care, either. If they harm another, they will be punished, whether or not it is due to drug abuse.

Mental Illness

There is no epidemic of mentally ill people making life miserable for others. There are far more drug abusers that harm others than the mentally ill. We should not force drug treatment, and we should not force treatment of mentally ill. If members of either group harm someone, then they can be forced to undergo such treatment. (Note that this last statement may be contrary to the Libertarian platform, and I understand this).

Patriot Act

The Patriot Act is an abomination. It has the potential to do a *lot* of harm to society as a whole, and it has already done a lot of harm to individuals that are not deserving of such treatment.

*And thanks for indulging me, too.*

-JAR

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.