Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Hey all,

Why isn't the new Cash King margin a part of the Rule Maker ranker? It's a quantitative criteria, so the ranker spreadsheet should be changed to include that criteria.

Matt? Lance? Bill?

Thx.
Cheers,
Albert
Print the post Back To Top
Why isn't the new Cash King margin a part of the Rule Maker ranker? It's a quantitative criteria, so the ranker spreadsheet should be changed to include that criteria.

Phileo,

I don't know the specific answer, but I can think of two possible reasons why it hasn't been "officially" done yet:

1) The powers that be haven't decided on what scoring system should be used with the new criteria.

2) No one has volunteered to go back to all 200+ posted spreadsheets and redo the calculations to include the Cash King Margin component, then repost them to the Companies board. Anyone care to volunteer?

Just my two cents ... I'll see if I can't put a big in Matt's ear to find out the "real" reason.

the LanceMan
the LanceMan:
"No one has volunteered to go back to all 200+ posted spreadsheets and redo the calculations to include the Cash King Margin component, then repost them to the Companies board. "

Well, that's only if this "backwards compatibility" is really desired.
I thought it would be useful to see all rankings with the CKM going forward. I wasn't concerned about backwards compatibility with rankings w/o the CKM.

But if it hasn't been "officially done" yet, then should it be a part of the RM Ranker spreadsheet?

Thx.
Cheers,
Albert

Phileo asked

Lance replied

I don't know the specific answer, but I can think of two possible reasons why it hasn't been "officially" done yet:

1) The powers that be haven't decided on what scoring system should be used with the new criteria.

2) No one has volunteered to go back to all 200+ posted spreadsheets and redo the calculations to include the Cash King Margin component, then repost them to the Companies board. Anyone care to volunteer?

In case Lance didn't track down Matt yet, here's what I can say about this. 1 is right on target. We've discussed it but haven't decided the best way to address it yet. We have not considered redoing all the other spreadsheets, so the more difficult part has been how do we address the differences in scoring pre and post CKM.

Phil

We have not considered redoing all the other spreadsheets, so the more difficult part has been how do we address the differences in scoring pre and post CKM.

Can we say "switching costs"?!

I'd love to make the Cash King Margin an official part of the RM Ranker scoring, but the difficulty is definitely in how it would damage the usefulness of comparison to our pre-CKM analyses.

One possibility would be to simply replace the Net Margin with the CKM. That would still create and apples/oranges problem, but at least the scoring guidelines would stay the same.

Thoughts?

-Matt
We have not considered redoing all the other spreadsheets, so the more difficult part has been how do we address the differences in scoring pre and post CKM.

Could you add a column to the RM master list for the post CKM scores? Then in the future when it is no longer usefull, drop the pre CKM.

Roy

Could you add a column to the RM master list for the post CKM scores? Then in the future when it is no longer usefull, drop the pre CKM.

That's something we could most certainly do, provided that the Rule Maker Portfolio managers decide on a scoring system for the Cash King Margin metric. Once they do that and get the Ranker spreadsheet updated, I will go ahead and add this functionality into the master list.

Fool On!

the LanceMan