Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1

It's difficult to get anything started when all the messages have to be approved by the owner before they're posted. Would anyone have any interest in starting over with a new Yahoo Group? If so, I'll contact Michael (inv44).

--Db
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
It's difficult to get anything started when all the messages have to be approved by the owner before they're posted.

--------------------

I was wondering why my post over there didn't show up right away. If the old group can't be changed, then I suppose a new group would be a good idea.
<<I was wondering why my post over there didn't show up right away. If the old group can't be changed, then I suppose a new group would be a good idea.>>

I suspect that the current members have probably lost interest in it anyway. Don't know why it's necessary to have all messages approved. It's a simple matter to moderate individual members if somebody starts acting like a jerk.

--Db
No. of Recommendations: 3
Don't know why it's necessary to have all messages approved. It's a simple matter to moderate individual members if somebody starts acting like a jerk.

You jest do you not?

Two posts ago I pointed out the fact that in a commercial environment such as this one may not be advised to simply pluck postings at will in order to transfer them to another site. I further helped you out by clarifying this manner with TMF staff so you knew where you stood.

And you respond with the implication that these findings can be ignored because if anyone complains about grape picking than such a 'jerk' can simply be banned from your group?

I understand your disappointment, but this is a very sad end to our dialog from where I stand :(
<<Two posts ago I pointed out the fact that in a commercial environment such as this one may not be advised to simply pluck postings at will in order to transfer them to another site. I further helped you out by clarifying this manner with TMF staff so you knew where you stood.

And you respond with the implication that these findings can be ignored because if anyone complains about grape picking than such a 'jerk' can simply be banned from your group?>>

You're mixing up two posts. The post I was responding to was wondering why his post hadn't shown up at the Yahoo Group site, and I responded that the owner of the board wanted to approve all messages before allowing them to be posted. Since I have my own group, I know that individual members can be moderated and that it's not necessary to approve every single post. None of this has anything to do with your earlier post regarding transferring posts from one place to another. It has to do with the various ways a Yahoo Group board can be administered.

--Db
TeefersUK

People are pasting crap off all kinds of sites and posting it all over the fool. If the fool lived by their rules they would have delete half of their message boards.

I really don't think forwarding a post to the message group would be a big deal. If it is then why even have that function as part of the fool site?

Is their only interest to educate, amuse, and enrich for 29.95?

Regards,

Maz…(done some "Grape Picking" in my time)
You're mixing up two posts. The post I was responding to was wondering why his post hadn't shown up at the Yahoo Group site, and I responded that the owner of the board wanted to approve all messages before allowing them to be posted.

Okay... I didn't have visability on this at all and what I did have visability on left me no option but to conclude what I did.

Sorry,
Teefers.
I really don't think forwarding a post to the message group would be a big deal.

It's a big deal. Some people go to enormous effort to educate, amuse, and enrich us at *their* cost. If a post is worth enough to forward on then the courtesy of asking for permission should go hand-in-hand with it.

Not that I'm saying any of my own posts are valuable. db just triggered my thinking and I had to follow it up and see where we all stood. I then misinterpreted a subsequent post and have apologised for jumping to the wrong conclusion. A pretty normal and understandable chain of events.

Is their only interest to educate, amuse, and enrich for 29.95?

I fail to see the linkage here. We're free to take personal copies of any post. We're free to use what we post anywhere else on the Internet. And we're free to ask authors for their permission to use what they post anywhere else on the Internet.

It could have been a lot worse. Think about the rights you have on your own PHD or Thesis -- in the UK that is zero, i.e. the university gets all your words, thoughts, and discoveries.
I must not have read the user agreement properly.

I was under the impression they did not want you to use any of the postings anywhere else. So sending a post to someone who is not a paying member was not allowed. Anyway, I would certainly seek INV44's approval before sending his posts to any Yahoo Group.

Regards
No. of Recommendations: 2

<<I was under the impression they did not want you to use any of the postings anywhere else. So sending a post to someone who is not a paying member was not allowed. Anyway, I would certainly seek INV44's approval before sending his posts to any Yahoo Group.>>

You know, if you guys would just read the posts, you could save yourselves a lot of aggravation.

One, Michael is a member of the Yahoo Group.

Two, I am in contact with Michael about the Yahoo Group.

Three, if Michael and I decide to copy these posts to the Yahoo Group, that's really Michael's business since he wrote them in the first place.

--Db
There is a link at the bottom of every post to email it anywhere you want. If the Fool objected, why would they provide this option? I assume that anyone who posts at the Fool does not object to this either since the option to do it is in plain view.
No. of Recommendations: 2
<<There is a link at the bottom of every post to email it anywhere you want. If the Fool objected, why would they provide this option? I assume that anyone who posts at the Fool does not object to this either since the option to do it is in plain view. >>

Good point. Then there's the matter of plagiarism. Some guy on the the l'union fait la force board lifted a private email of mine (I have no idea how he got it) and passed it off as his own. There was a time when I got quoted a lot, so that doesn't bother me at all. But when no credit whatsoever is given, that ticks me off. But email has no copyright, so my only choice was to get over it.

--Db

The owner of the Yahoo board still hasn't responded to my email about lifting the restriction on posts, and none of the posts that were made on Friday or Saturday have been posted to the site, which is three days now.

So, if you guys want to start over with a new group without these silly restrictions on message approval, let me know and I'll set it up. Haven't heard from Michael, but I imagine he'll be happy to move since nothing is going on with the current Yahoo group.

--Db
I know some people want everything for nothing, but it does cost money to run a website -- even for non-profits.

Anyway, this sounds like a loophole.

Say I know fifty people who want to take advantage of the advice of some Fools. But, they don't want to pay the $29.95/each. So they pool together the $29.95 and one of them signs up. The "one" paying person forwards all messages to a "free" web message service, of which the other 49 people are members.

Talk about leverage.

And, frankly, I don't know whether the user agreement says anything about it. If lawyers are involved, I'd be surprised if it didn't. At any rate, dbphoenix might be right about the Fool.com not wanting to spend money chasing down every abuser.

That may be true. But, it's always been the threat of legal action that keeps most people inline. If a mass revolt (to overwhelm Fool.com's legal resources) actually occurred, I'd be very surprised.

So the question is: Are you feeling lucky?

I'm not suggesting that the content be transferred off-site. The content can stay right where it is. What I'm responding to is the suggestion that those who are interested in Weinstein go to where those who are interested in Weinstein hang out. Michael is not a member of TMF; therefore, he won't be here. When my free year runs out, I won't be here either. So if anyone wants to start over with a Yahoo Group (which I very much like, if it's set up properly), I'll be happy to set it up. If not, then everyone can stay here.

There is at least one board that has shut down and moved off TMF. I doubt it'll be the last.

--Db
No. of Recommendations: 3

The Yahoo Group is ready to go:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WeinsteinSecrets

For the time being, it's unrestricted. We'll just have to see how it goes.

--Db
<< Dear Yahoo! Groups Members,

The service is down for maintenance. During this time the web site will be unavailable and all email will be queued. All email sent during this time should be delivered once service has resumed, but further delays may occur due to backlog. Please do not resend email to your group.

I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

The Yahoo! Groups Plumber
>>

Does this happen a lot over there?
Lest this be taken the wrong way, that's a serious question for anyone who's used Yahoo's groups a lot.

I'll try again later, I am interested in Weinstein discussions here or there.

== dj

<<Does this happen a lot over there?>>

About as often as the TMF boards. I've used Yahoo Clubs and Yahoo Groups for several years and have had little trouble.

I admit the timing could have been better, but this is purely coincidental.

--Db

It occurs to me that this "maintenance" may have to do with the final conversion of Yahoo Clubs to Yahoo Groups (if you're wondering what the difference is, the Groups allow you to upload files, search the message archives, post charts, etc.). As I said, the timing could have been better, but what the hey.

--Db