Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
When a candidate for President, such as Kerry, is critical of Bush over things like this, do military folks view it as a criticism of their abilities and accomplishments?

Here's a thread with information in case you're not familiar with the details of this latest controversy - and if you only watch CBS News or read the NYTimes, you probably haven't heard the whole story. - http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=21503039&sort=whole#21503357

ShelbyBoy
Print the post Back To Top
Here are some Kerry comments:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/10/25/kerry.explosives/

Excerpt:

"This is one of the great blunders of Iraq and one of the great blunders of this administration."

He said the "incredible incompetence of this president and this administration has put our troops at risk and put this country at greater risk than we ought to be. ... The unbelievable blindness, stubbornness, arrogance of this administration to do the basics has now allowed this president to once again fail the test of being the commander in chief."

No. of Recommendations: 8
380 tons of munitions is a lot of explosives. On the other hand, let's put that in the proper perspective. The interesting thing here is the amount of munitions found and destroyed in Iraq. 405,898 tons found and 243,000 tons already destroyed.

http://www.wbap.com/listingsentryfeature.asp?ID=250424&PT=wbaptopstories
No. of Recommendations: 2
aegamemnon
380 tons of munitions is a lot** of explosives.
=======================================
According to what I heard this morning, the site was examined within 24-48 hours or so of overrunning the madman, and it was.... EMPTY... Squat... Nada... nothing there to safeguard, etc...

Not for sure here, but CBS, and NOW also the NY Times may be onto another Dan Rather "breakthru"...

Poor outfits, both of them... CBS had their recent episode with the Rather/60 Minutes forgeries... and the NYT their Jason Blair stories... if this one blows as badly as those earlier embarassments, how much more will the public be willing to accept from either one?...

**A lot?... right on... as in needing 18 wheelers to get it hauled away... perhaps 40 or 50 trucks?... maybe under the *watchful eyes* of the meticulous UN inspectors... don't think it could have happened after we had boots on the ground...

Kerry has definitely entered the desparation zone... we can only hope that people see it for what it is... he'll literally say ANYTHING to claw his way into public housing on Penn Ave...
According to what I heard this morning, the site was examined within 24-48 hours or so of overrunning the madman, and it was.... EMPTY... Squat... Nada... nothing there to safeguard, etc...

Not for sure here, but CBS, and NOW also the NY Times may be onto another Dan Rather "breakthru"...

Information on that aspect of the story is available at the link I provided in the original post - http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=21503039&sort=whole

My question is whether, in a situation like this, the military officers on the ground view criticism of the Commander in Chief as criticism of the military officers on the ground.

ShelbyBoy
No. of Recommendations: 3
My question is whether, in a situation like this, the military officers on the ground view criticism of the Commander in Chief as criticism of the military officers on the ground.

ShelbyBoy
====================================================
Huhhhhhhhhh??????

If the info is bogus, warmed over mule muffins, all judgement and discussion about anything related to the issue comes to a screeching halt, does it not?...

With the appropriate questions and back tracking to the propagators needing to be raised... I don't understand the criticism angle... THE STORY IS A LIE, APPARENTLY... a plain flat out LIE... PERIOD... unworthy of further analysis or discussion... end of...
No. of Recommendations: 8
Stupid accusation. As a guy who drove around Iraq looking for weapons that were supposed to be certain places, let me tell you that the current attack is ignorant and shows a complete lack of understanding of the situation over there.
No. of Recommendations: 2
Blew up in their face? Kerry is campaigning on the issue today, the Kerry campaign has a new ad based on the "missing explosives" story, and CBS may still be planning to run a 60 Minutes piece Sunday night.

They are reaching people who won't know the rest of this story. And with some key states in a virtual tie, a few voters swayed by this story could be the difference.

In the big picture - I don't know that this has blown up in their face.

http://www.cnsnews.com//ViewNation.asp?Page=\Nation\archive\200410\NAT20041026c.html

Excerpt:

A media watchdog group Tuesday said "what amounted to an 'October surprise'" by the New York Times and CBS News blew up in their faces.

The Times was first to report Monday what it considered to be new information that 380 tons of explosives were missing from an Iraqi military facility that was supposed to be under U.S. military control. But an NBC News report later noted the explosives were already gone before troops arrived at the Al-Qaqaa installation in April 2003.