Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 64
On Meet the Press today:

CHUCK TODD:
What's your message to these protestors that are popping up? I was talking with Kellyanne Conway about it, asking if Donald Trump should be addressing these folks. She said he already has. And she even said she thinks that President Obama and Secretary Clinton should be telling these protesters essentially, "Hey, you need to accept the defeat and give some time and space to President-Elect Trump." What's your message to these protestors?

CORY BOOKER:
Well, I'm sitting here right now, having this conversation with you because of the tradition of American protest. I have my rights, not because of Washington suddenly deciding, Strom Thurmond and others, "Hey, let's give certain Americans equal rights." But because of the ardent, unyielding voice of protesters. And so, when you have a president in his campaign who ran saying things that not are just contrary to a fact, but literally threatening to use presidential power in a way that would erode the rights and privileges and equality of large sections of Americans, God bless the protestors.

http://www.nbcnews.com/meet-the-press/meet-press-november-13...

Well said!!!!

Jack
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 5
But those protestors were protesting for specific things. They were being denied rights that should have been available to all Americans. It still took the assassination of a President for them to win.

Just protesting the Trump election is not at all the same thing, not at all.
No. of Recommendations: 1
"God bless the protestors." Corey Booker

Are they destroying and corrupting Corey's property?
And in one shot Cory Booker just took himself out of the running in 2020. Good.
No. of Recommendations: 4
Just protesting the Trump election is not at all the same thing, not at all.

You are correct only in that Trump has not been inaugurated, so he has not had the opportunity to do anything.

Why should we wait until he gets in office to express our concerns? For more than a year, the man has made the most ridiculous, hate-filled statements. He shows NO knowledge to support his beliefs. One (of many) examples is his claim that he "knows more than the generals" with regard to dealing with ISIS.

So are we to sit by until this guy has the power to blunder in a way that causes huge numbers of casualties?

According to the law, he is the President-elect. Actually, the electoral college votes on the 1st Wednesday after the 2nd Monday in December. Unless there is a full moon....ha, ha! DUMB system!

Seriously....the protestors are putting a human face on the discontent among more than HALF of the electorate. And I don't remember seeing such demonstrations after any presidential election (am I wrong?)

IF this is a democracy, the voices of the people must be heard. And we can only hope that something can be done to curb the power of a man who is clearly unable to handle it.

Jack
"Seriously....the protestors are putting a human face on the discontent among more than HALF of the electorate"

Clearly they are not rioting in your neighborhood.
IF this is a democracy, the voices of the people must be heard. And we can only hope that something can be done to curb the power of a man who is clearly unable to handle it.

Jack

Well beating up people you think voted for him, literally and destroying property isn't going to give anyone a sense that they want to curb abusive power, just be the abusers themselves.

It will give people a reason to hate you.
No. of Recommendations: 0
Are they destroying and corrupting Corey's property?

You might want to actually read Senator Booker's speech. He goes on to say that the protestors must abide by the law.

(the whole speech is in the link that I provided)

Yeah, Dope. I'm sure that you don't want to see another one of "them" in the White House anytime soon.
CHUCK TODD:
What's your message to these protestors that are popping up? I was talking with Kellyanne Conway about it, asking if Donald Trump should be addressing these folks. She said he already has. And she even said she thinks that President Obama and Secretary Clinton should be telling these protesters essentially, "Hey, you need to accept the defeat and give some time and space to President-Elect Trump." What's your message to these protestors?

Why didn't Chuck Todd, himself ask where is our current active POTUS during all this destruction? Where is Hillary to talk to her goon squads?

It is like they and Booker are endorsing the violence while only suggesting peaceful protest is what is happening.

This is the type of political behavior that got the Democrats in the minority in all branches of government.

W
Well beating up people you think voted for him, literally and destroying property isn't going to give anyone a sense that they want to curb abusive power, just be the abusers themselves.

It will give people a reason to hate you.

Agreed. But haven't the protests, for the most part, been peaceful?

And when you have protests of this magnitude, isn't it a given that some nasty people will show up and make the whole thing look bad?

Should we ban protests?

Jack

And when you have protests of this magnitude, isn't it a given that some nasty people will show up and make the whole thing look bad?

Should we ban protests?

Jack

I hope you realize both parties hire provocateurs (and actors) to make protestors look like a$$holes.

It was Soros and one of the partners at Renaissance Technology that actually hired the a##holes that showed up for Occupy Wall Street. It also happen to coincide with the filming of batman.

Give me a break. Booker knows this.
"Should we ban protests?"

Absolutely not, we should get them all permitted and have them in ...your..neighborhood.

Yeah, Dope. I'm sure that you don't want to see another one of "them" in the White House anytime soon.

Bill, will be so proud

oh my, he could have been my son!
No. of Recommendations: 3

Ahh. More lefty accusations of raaacism.

When you feel like learning something, and can muster up the stones to actually debate, I'm here to school all libs until they grow brains. Until then, please continue rattling off these dumb accusations.
No. of Recommendations: 2

"Yeah, Dope. I'm sure that you don't want to see another one of "them" in the White House anytime soon."

Booker is an intelligent, thoughtful guy who has a great future in politics. That's hard for some folks to swallow.

"Yeah, Dope. I'm sure that you don't want to see another one of "them" in the White House anytime soon."

Booker is an intelligent, thoughtful guy who has a great future in politics. That's hard for some folks to swallow.

Sure, he and Van Jones are going to run together.

Anyone intelligent and thoughtful doesn't say such stupid things.

W
in 2008.<<IF this is a democracy, the voices of the people must be heard. And we can only hope that something can be done to curb the power of a man who is clearly unable to handle it.

Jack>>>

Too bad this wasn't posted and understood in 2008.
Absolutely not, we should get them all permitted and have them in ...your..neighborhood.

I live in Portland, OR and the protests are on my doorstep. While I (and an overwhelming majority of the actual protesters) strongly condemn the few stupids that are causing damage, I strongly support the message -- and the protests.

Speck
<<<Should we ban protests?>>>

What are they protesting? That they didn't get what they wanted?

They're acting like two year olds; they're crybabies.
What are they protesting? That they didn't get what they wanted?

It is not like they got anything but screwed the last 8 years
I strongly support the message -- and the protests.
Seriously.
What good is asking the People to vote if they aren't going to give the proper answer.
IF this is a democracy, the voices of the people must be heard.

The voice of the people have been heard. It's called an election. We just had one.
The voice of the people have been heard. It's called an election. We just had one.

Yes, and Trump won the election by our current rules. Let's not forget, however, that Clinton won the popular vote, with millions of ballots yet to be counted.

This is the second time in 20 years that the Democratic Presidential nominee has won the popular vote, but lost in the electoral college. That may help you to understand why a large swath of people are upset.

I mean besides the fact that we elected a misogynistic, racist sexual predator with no prior military/public service background, because there's that as well.

Speck
I mean besides the fact that we elected a misogynistic, racist sexual predator with no prior military/public service background, because there's that as well.

What does Bill Clinton have to do with this?

At any rate. liberals are upset because their liberal teachers in liberal schools never told them what the Electoral College was or how it works.
That may help you to understand why a large swath of people are upset.
Oh heavens. We applied rule of law.
I mean, seriously. Why should someone win 30 states and get elected?
Yes, and Trump won the election by our current rules. Let's not forget, however, that Clinton won the popular vote, with millions of ballots yet to be counted

Yes, Trump won by our current rules, which have been around for hundreds of years. These aren't new rules that were crafted to help Trump win.

Thank you for mentioning that their are still millions of ballots to be counted. To say Clinton "won" the popular vote would be premature. It is just as likely, and from what I've read, perhaps moreso likely, that Trump will end up with the popular vote as well.
I mean, seriously. Why should someone win 30 states and get elected?

Maybe because the population of NYC is bigger than 40 of those states.

And the population of Los Angeles is bigger than 22 of those states.
And the population of Chicago is bigger than 16 of them.
And the population of Houston is bigger than 15 of them.
And the populations of both Philadelphia and Phoenix are bigger than 11.
And the populations of San Antonio and San Diego are bigger than 10.
And San Jose is bigger than 9.
Even Austin is bigger than 4.

Maybe city cats are tired of sitting in the back of the bus.
"I live in Portland, OR and the protests are on my doorstep. While I (and an overwhelming majority of the actual protesters) strongly condemn the few stupids that are causing damage, I strongly support the message -- and the protests.
Speck"

Just what do you perceive the message of these riots to be? I support the riots happening in your neighborhood as apparently you also do .
Maybe city cats are tired of sitting in the back of the bus. .........................Please.Whenever NYC is brought up to Upstate New Yorkers, the sentiment is, without us you are nothing.Forgetting, that Upstate provides a large tax base, agricultural products, areas of higher education for their youngsters, and probably most importantly, water.I repeat, water.... to clarify, water...
I live in Portland, OR and the protests are on my doorstep. While I (and an overwhelming majority of the actual protesters) strongly condemn the few stupids that are causing damage, I strongly support the message -- and the protests.

So you're basically advocating that your temper tantrums and inability to understand the electoral process are good things? Hey, whatever floats your boat.

Tell me. What implemented policy are you actually protesting?
Maybe because the population of NYC is bigger than 40 of those states.
And the population of Los Angeles is bigger than 22 of those states.
And the population of Chicago is bigger than 16 of them.

And the people in those states should just suck it up and let themselves be dictated to by cities a thousand plus miles away.

Did you miss concept of protecting minority rights?
I could have sworn there was a whole big discussion about it.

I'm not kidding when I say thank God for the electoral college. It is one of Mankind's great works of genius.
liberals are upset because their liberal teachers in liberal schools never told them what the Electoral College was or how it works.

I don't think it's a misunderstanding of the Electoral College and how it works. We all understand that Trump won based on the long-standing rules peculiar to the Presidency. But, again, that doesn't change the fact that more people voted for his opponent. I'm sure you might well imagine how you would feel if the shoe were on the other foot.

Speck
Just what do you perceive the message of these riots to be?

First, I wouldn't characterize them as "riots". These are largely peaceful, if disruptive, protests, with a small number of people using the crowds as cover to just wreak general havoc.

The message? That there are a lot of people who don't accept misogyny, racism, sexual assault, torture and general bullying as anywhere near acceptable in our society, especially from the leader of the free world.

Speck
I'm sure you might well imagine how you would feel if the shoe were on the other foot.
Given that I opposed Trump....

Yes, I think I have a pretty good grasp of the concept of fairness and abiding by the rule of law.
I'm pretty sure I understand the importance of accepting that not everyone will agree with me, and that I should find a way to include them anyway.

And I strongly suspect that one attracts more flies with honey than vinegar.
I don't think it's a misunderstanding of the Electoral College and how it works. We all understand that Trump won based on the long-standing rules peculiar to the Presidency. But, again, that doesn't change the fact that more people voted for his opponent. I'm sure you might well imagine how you would feel if the shoe were on the other foot.

I see. You merely want to change the rules after losing. How...adult of you.

If the shoe were on the other foot? Since I not only understand the Electoral College but the reasons why it's there - AND SUPPORT IT 100% - I'd be just fine "if the shoe were on the other foot".

Tell me. Do you think that Presidential campaigns should be waged in a dozens cities and nowhere else? That's what you're advocating.
liberals are upset because their liberal teachers in liberal schools never told them what the Electoral College was or how it works

I have no idea if Mr Pagliaro, my 8th grade social studies teacher, the one who covered civics, was liberal or conservative. My school district as a whole, hmmm, heavily Jewish NYC suburb, but also a union-free school district. I remember learning about the complexities of our govt, about checks & balances and the Electoral College. I remember thinking what a huge benefit it grants to low-population states against high-population states such as the one in which I lived then.
And I strongly suspect that one attracts more flies with honey than vinegar.

I guess Trump is the exception that proves the rule ;-)
I have no idea if Mr Pagliaro, my 8th grade social studies teacher, the one who covered civics, was liberal or conservative. My school district as a whole, hmmm, heavily Jewish NYC suburb, but also a union-free school district. I remember learning about the complexities of our govt, about checks & balances and the Electoral College. I remember thinking what a huge benefit it grants to low-population states against high-population states such as the one in which I lived then.

Then you didn't learn it properly. It's not Mr. Pagliaro's fault you weren't paying attention to WHY we have an Electoral College.
". But, again, that doesn't change the.. fact ...that more people voted for his opponent. I'm sure you might well imagine how you would feel if the shoe were on the other foot." Specker

This is not a ..fact..at this time. All of the votes have not been counted as of now and the count will not be final for some time now. Once the provisionals, absentees, and reconcilliations are completed then one can state the final total.

Also, both campaigns based their strategies on the electoral college votes not the popular vote....but..I am sure that you know that. There were many states that neither candidate campaigned in for strategic purposes. If they were courting the popular vote they would have done things differently.
"The message? That there are a lot of people who don't accept misogyny, racism, sexual assault, torture and general bullying as anywhere near acceptable in our society, especially from the leader of the free world."
Specker

Actually the message is that there are a lot of people who cannot accept the results of a fairly run election and who feel that their judgement is better than those that fairly won an open election.
<<< ". But, again, that doesn't change the.. fact ...that more people voted for his opponent. I'm sure you might well imagine how you would feel if the shoe were on the other foot." Specker>>>

When all votes are counted, that may be true; if so, it amazes me that a majority of the voting public favors corruption.

So are most Trump voters but that didn't keep you and others from painting them with a broad racist brush.

'Kill the police!' Anti-Trump protesters chant death threats at cops in Indianapolis
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3931214/Police-attac...
It's not Mr. Pagliaro's fault you weren't paying attention to WHY we have an Electoral College.
Most likely, it wasn't taught. They tend to gloss over the Connecticut Compromise, the other options considered, and the reasons.
I'm told The Federalist is held back for graduate work - too difficult. I know my high school only mentioned its existence.

Probably the worst sin committed in this regard is to say that blacks were "only" counted as 3/5 of a person, as if they should have been counted as whole people.

Did that insult anyone? Have y'all started condemning me as a racist yet?

Here's the thing - Southern states were never going to let blacks vote. By counting them at all, the electoral power of southern states was increased, allowing them to stave off attempts to eliminate slavery. Had blacks not been counted, the South would have had fewer seats in Congress and fewer electoral votes for President. Had blacks been counted as whole people, slave holders would have had even more power.
And so 3/5 was a compromise between Northerners who didn't want to count them, and Southerners who did. It was a necessary evil that allowed the Constitution to pass and prevented the Confederacy for another 72 years.

The effect was to give the southern states a third more seats in Congress and a third more electoral votes than if slaves had been ignored.
...Historian Garry Wills has postulated that without the additional slave state votes, Jefferson would have lost the presidential election of 1800. Also, "slavery would have been excluded from Missouri ... Jackson's Indian removal policy would have failed ... the Wilmot Proviso would have banned slavery in territories won from Mexico ... the Kansas-Nebraska bill would have failed." Other historians, however, have criticized Wills' analysis as simplistic. While the Three-Fifths Compromise could be seen to favor Southern states because of their large slave populations, for example, the Connecticut Compromise tended to favor the Northern states (which were generally smaller). Support for the new Constitution rested on the balance of these sectional interests

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-Fifths_Compromise
"IF this is a democracy, the voices of the people must be heard."

"The voice of the people have been heard. It's called an election. We just had one."

1. The U.S. is not a democracy, it is a Republic.
2. The voice of the people will not have been heard (otherwise we would have a president-elect Clinton), the voice of the electors in the Electoral College will be heard.

Neither of that is whining or complaining. It is just pointing out simple facts.
I see. You merely want to change the rules after losing. How...adult of you.

I didn't say a word about changing the rules. I'm merely pointing out how the peculiarities in how we choose a President is frustrating to many.

I would think that, as a adult and all, you're able to appreciate that nuance. If not, I suppose you can always just fall back to personal insults.

Speck
"First, I wouldn't characterize them as "riots". These are largely peaceful, if disruptive, protests, with a small number of people using the crowds as cover to just wreak general havoc." Specker

Well, NPR and others disagree with you. Gunshots, vandalism, property damage exceeding 1 million dollars. Thank god its in ...your..neighborhood since you so support and identify with it.

www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/11/11/501685976/anti-tr...