Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
about what year did they lower the numbers on whether you were diabetic or not?

set lower in 1997

http://www.obesitymyths.com/myth8.2.htm

but also controversially switched from GTT to fasting Glucose in 1979--read it all the way down--fascinating:

http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14046782.php

furthermore, I remember as a nurse's aide in the late 60s/early 70s testing diabetic hospital patients' urine for glucose (or maybe ketones?).

ASIDE
I don't understand how a single test once a year can be relied upon to diagnose things like high blood pressure and diabetes (of course i realize it's better than nothing). For example, my fasting blood glucose has ranged from below the normal range to 109. I've only had one HbA1c test, which turned out to be 4.9. I once had my insulin level measured, and it was high (11). My current PCP thinks I'm fine and worry too much. My previous doctor was certain I was abut to bust out in metabolic syndrome at any moment and for some mysterious reason my blood glucose was testing better than it "should." (I would not have changed drs, but that one switched to a boutique practice and I just couldn;t justify spending an extra $125/month for my self and another $5/month for my husband, even though it would mean getting more frequent and presumably "better" care.)
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.