Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Absolutely, it's bait and switch. In Connecticut, at least, a retailer could face a hefty fine for pulling the same stunt with an appliance.
I talked to an AMEX advisor this morning who assured me that I would not be charged $75 for dealing with a service representative (instead of online) to buy a mutual fund. The fee applies only to stock trades through a rep, he said.
(AME does not allow the purchase of Vanguard short term bond fund online. It has to be done through the service rep. I suspected it was just another ploy to extract money from the investor, but was assured by the rep. that buying funds via phone will remain free.)
As a buy-and-hold kind of guy, the change does not immediately affect me. But it does raise warning flags.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.