Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Absolutely not. It appears that it's necessary to remind you that our federal government is not a pure democracy.

Yes Absolutely, the Senate is not Democratically elected by the whole nation. I am well aware of why. And if it were, then you wouldn't need to remind anyone of anything. So you acknowledge that the Senate is not elected by the nation in a manner consistent with Democracy, but still embrace that no matter how un-Democratic it has become. You don't see a problem with that. I do.

Further, the Senate was deliberately set up to give equal power to each state, no matter how large or small.

Of course. And at the time of the Constitution, the largest state was almost 3 times larger than the smallest. Today, that is closer to six times. The nation has evolved, the election of Senators has not. It no longer works. Or do you think the Senate has been working just fine for the last 10 or 12 years? Perhaps that is where we disagree. I find what happened with Obama's Supreme Court Nominee, Garland, to be almost criminal. I find the actions of the US Senate in recent years to be appalling and destructive to our government. And the reason is largely because of this massive over-representation of a minority party funded by billionaires in the Senate. However well the Senate has served the US in the past, that time is long over. It is time to adopt or die.

In the same way, we have a filibuster rule in the Senate. There are pros and cons. It can be changed. However, that change is not going to happen during the current Congressional session. There simply aren't enough votes to change it. Once again, working to change the rule is well and good, but we have to deal with current issues within the framework of the filibuster.

I don't give up that easily on something so important to success and survival. It is a shame that you are so willing to submit to Mitch McConnell rather than work hard to change.

There are likely several bits of meaningful legislation that can get passed in the next 2 years. We are almost certain to get another covid relief bill passed in the next few weeks. That is meaningful legislation. And it will pass in spite of the filibuster. Will it be slightly different because of the filibuster?

Not different . . . worse. And it hasn't passed yet. Let's see how much worse before you start running victory laps. Plus, please name one other piece of legislation that addresses something other than a global pandemic that will be both significant and get passed while Mitch holds the filibuster.

It only provides republicans with an advantage if the democrats fail to make their case with the electorate. There is nothing to stop democrats from pointing at failed legislation and politically blaming republicans for the failure.

LOL. Let's talk again in early 2022. You are surrendering to Mitch even if you refuse to admit it. You are abandoning people in favor of a procedure that never should have ever existed. Timid Democrats will hold as much responsibility as Trump Republicans in the demise of our nation that is going on and has been going on for several years now.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.