Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I bought Obamacare for the first time for myself and my 23-year old in 2017. She earned more than $4050.00 so I cannot claim her as a dependent.

I got the tax subsidy, but earned more than I projected, so I have to pay back some of the subsidy. We are being asked to allocate percentages that each of us was responsible for the premiums, the SLCSP and the advance payment tax credit in each of our respective tax returns.

We paid the premiums from a joint family account that she contributes to. Because her income was lower, I would have to pay back lower amounts if she takes on a bigger percentage.

My question: Would it be a violation of any rule if she took on a bigger percentage of the premiums, SLCSP and PTC?

Here is Turbo Tax's guidance on the issue:

Child/Children on another tax plan
If you share a policy with someone who is claimed on another tax return (usually a child), you can take the number of people on your tax return who are covered on that plan and divide by the total number of people in the plan. This would be your percentage of the premiums, SLCSP and advanced payment of the premium tax credits, unless you agreed on a different number beforehand .

The last bolded part seems to imply that you can use whatever percentages you agree on.
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.