Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 9
I have a real simple , easy to implement item that would improve the fool for me. Since Peter Psaras left the Fool's employment (1 ½ years ago), I have not had a return reply from any Fool employee in regards to complimenting them for a job well done on a written piece. Since complaints come so much more freely than compliments, I would think such replies would be an enjoyable part of their job.

Instride

Graciousness costs so little but has so much value.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
Since Peter Psaras left the Fool's employment (1 ½ years ago), I have not had a return reply from any Fool employee in regards to complimenting them for a job well done on a written piece.

Hi Instride,

I have personally replied to every single complimentary email I've received since I started working at the Fool.

After all, my mother would be very upset if I never wrote her back.

Cheers,

Rex

P.S. Seriously, though... I don't understand either why you haven't been getting replies. I really do try to answer every email, whether positive or negative.
No. of Recommendations: 4
Hey instride-

You sure are right -- "Since complaints come so much more freely than compliments, I would think such replies would be an enjoyable part of their job." So little praise flows my way I jump on it! Most people email only when they disagree with a piece. People who agree usually just nod, smile and move on. However, my colleagues may receive more praise. And they deserve it. ;-)

That's why I believe that the first time you emailed me, which was recently to my knowledge, I responded pretty immediately, and only today connected your name to this email.

We are a gracious lot (speaking personally, they put up with me, which is a leading indicator), but increasingly weary of spam. There is no excuse for failing to hit reply and send a thanks, but a reason is that the amount of time available for email, versus meeting the Big Bad Editor's Deadlines (Hi Bob! Hi Jackie! who are both shorter than I am, so not so big, but very bad LOL), involves battle to separate wheat (praise!) from the gosh darned chaff -- the overhwhelming percentage of the 250-500 emails a day that are spam. And this is after implementing all sorts of screens on my Outlook Rules Wizard and enjoying the latest Fool Techie tryout of spaminator software. We are slowly being driven insane by spam (and the stock market). Not to mention that my failing eyesight (Life Begins at 40!) occasionally fails to separate the right ones from the wrong ones.

We are trying (I can hear a dear departed parents adding with w ink, "Very"). We appreciate a kind word. It sure beats "you moron why didn't you mention company x!" But as an old therapist used to tell me, the minute you write one word, someone will disagree. Not a profession for the overly sensitive, as neither is that of TMF Overlord (I love that).

No more parentheticals. A big thanks for a great reminder. It's very important that the squeaky wheel not get the most grease. Complaints tell you very important things about your business -- in fact, not getting them would be the worst thing ever. But compliments? These are from people to treasure.

Promising to do better, and ever Foolishly,
Tom9