Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
I have developed dry eyes over the past few years. Nothing works for me (thick gel drops from Blink work best, but even those are temporary). But I made an accidental discovery.

You know those kits you can get when you buy a couple of department store cosmetic items from a major manufacturer like Clnique or Estee Lauder? Well, I bought a pricy lipstick several years ago (in a tube with a brush--I have no idea what I was thinking ;-) and my complimentary kit came with a rich, but highly scented eye cream.

I'm currently out of anything I normally use at the corners of my eyes at night (save coconut oil), so I tried the rich eye cream. My eyes find the scent (I assume) irritating and tear like crazy. I haven;t had such moist eyes for well over a decade! Of course, it looks like I'm about to cry, but what price comfort!
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Of course, it looks like I'm about to cry, but what price comfort!

For someone with a genuine dry eye syndrome, trying to produce tears with an irritant such as is described here might not be the best choice.

For someone with a GENUINE dry eye syndrome, that is.
The comfort is great, but the way you've achieved it concerns me. Irritation/inflammation over the long term is not good. Plain and simple.

I'll see if I can get some recommendations for more helpful products.

=sheila
The comfort is great, but the way you've achieved it concerns me. Irritation/inflammation over the long term is not good. Plain and simple...

There you go.....a response that's not on your *ignore* list...;)
Because of your PCOS, and knowing the hormonal components, I googled "PCOS and dry eye." Turns out studies have documented that it's significantly more common in women with PCOS.

This discusses it and makes some recommendations. It also contains nutritional recommendations for PCOS. Maybe there'll be some fun recipes! ;-)

http://www.pcosnutrition.com/links/blogs/no-tears-shed-for-p...

Contact lenses exacerbate the problem significantly. I don't recall if you wear them or not.

And I'd certainly see your eye doctor about this.

=sheila
Hey alstro Happy balloon day!

So far as your dry eyes go. It's my understanding that tears in response to an irritant are not the same as the lubricant that your eyes tend to make on their own. So while you might be getting some relief in the short term, it's not really a long-term solution.

Seriously, talk to your eye doctor. Sight is precious and you only get one pair of eyes. It's possible the dry eyes are being caused by an underlying inflammation that needs to be treated. Do you take supplements that are designed for eye health?

LWW
Thx, Sheila & LWW.

I have discussed my dry eyes with both ophthalmologists and optometrists. In fact, whenever I've changed optometrists, they always inform me I have dry eyes. I didn't even know until the first one told me back in my 40s. Anyhow, since it was invented, all they recommend is Restasis, which is an expensive new prescription drug designed to treat one cause of dry eyes that there is no evidence I have. So I have declined, repeatedly. It has bad side effects and apparently you can;t get off it once you get on. My eyes don;t bother me enough to take on these risks. None of the other OTC drops recommended by drs worked for me. I found Blink gel on my own, and it's better than anything they suggested. I only use it maybe once or twice a month. I don't want my eyes to depend on it or have it cease working. (My mother uses Visine every day to "get the red out.")

My eyes seldom feel irritated or look red--they're just dry and more sensitive to light than they used to be. I don't wear contacts and never have. I used to get that "something in my eye" feeling (where there's nothing there), which always turned out to be a swollen blood vessel, but it hasn't happened for a very long time. A year maybe.

I take anti-histimines, which make the problem worse. I try doing without them, for example, I didn't take one before bed last night, but then was awakened at 5am having lost my airway :-(

I've found that a single small dab of Estee Lauder eye cream in the general vicinity of each eye (not in them!) keeps them moist for hours without tears spilling over. It feels as good as Blink gel, and lasts much longer.

I take 2 Minami CardiO-3 fish oil gelcaps/day, stay hydrated, try to remind myself to blink harder and more often, and when I wash my face, I leave the warm washcloth over my eyes for a minute. Once in a while, I wash my lids with an Ocusoft lid wipe--I had a lot leftover after my cataract surgery. This also seems to help.
Have you tried Systane gel? I got pretty good relief with it. I don't have chronic dry eye, but I do wear contacts, so my eye doctor suggested I use over the counter drops.

LWW
I tried the Systane sample from my optometrist. Didn't help me as much as Blink, but it wasn't a gel. I'll look for that.
I would try Similisan

I tried that once. It didn't work as well for me as the Systane drops. But then again, every one has different reactions to things.

LWW
I tried that once. It didn't work as well for me as the Systane drops. But then again, every one has different reactions to things.

Right. And what causes the dry eyes may influence what is most helpful.

=sheila
Re Similisan -- a request for recommendations for treating dry eyes was posted on my list-serve late this afternoon, in another episode of excellent timing! ;-)

One of the physicians recommends Similisan, saying that this homeopathic preparation has worked very well for her.

So--no guarantee it will be right for you, but certainly worth a try.

=sheila
In my reading about dry eyes, I learned that sometimes the cause is not getting (any or enough) oil out of the little oil glands along the edge of the lids. The layer of, basically, salt water evaporates without its oil slick.

A couple of sources recommended blinking more often and harder or even squeezing one's eyes shut to get the oil on the eyeballs. This is working for me. Especially when my eyes are so dry I can barely open them, which often is the case when I first wake up in the morning (like a few minutes ago).

BTW, I find many OTC eye drops to be more irritating to my eyes than the "fumes" of department store eye cream--one brand even made my eyes quite red. Several made them burn. Drops recommended by optometrists were no better than random chance. The Restasis sample I tried (that's the prescription solution) was among the worst.
I find many OTC eye drops to be more irritating to my eyes than the "fumes" of department store eye cream-

I have a terrible problem with that too, both OTC and prescription drops. Even gentle anti-allergy products become intolerable.

I'd try the Similisan, give it a chance.

=sheila
I'd try the Similisan, give it a chance.

It's in my Amazon cart, just waiting for more items to be added.
the Similisan....
It's in my Amazon cart, just waiting for more items to be added.

Oh good! Let us know how you react to it. I sure hope it's helpful and not irritating.

=sheila
I'd also suggest a humidifier 24/7 in the winter months. That also helps with dry skin.
I know this is an old post, but I wanted to share. I had an eye doctor years ago recommend placing a warm, damp washcloth over my eyes for a few seconds in the morning to stimulate tears. I still had dry eyes even after having the lower tear ducts cauterized years before.