Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
According to IRS Publication 17, Your Income Tax (available on the web site), p 121, your nonworking spouse is eligible to contribute up to $5000/yr or $6000 if over age 50, up to the maximum amount of your earned income in any tax year to her spousal IRA.

Your participation in a 401K plan does not limit her eligibility. It merely reduces the income limit above which the contribution is no longer tax deductible.

So you have a non-deductible contribution to your IRA. You need to keep track of your non-deductible basis by filing Form 8606 with your income tax each year, but otherwise, this is a normal traditional IRA account. You may mix deductible and non-deductible contributions in the same account and you can even rollover other qualified accounts or 401Ks into the same account.

You may transfer your IRA account tax-free to any other custodian you choose. Usually that would be a discount broker or a mutual fund company, but you have your choice of which one you use. If you do a direct transfer, there are no tax implications. To do that, contact the firm you want to receive the account and ask their advice. Usually there are a few forms to fill out and they do the rest.
Print the post  


When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.