No. of Recommendations: 1
According to the local papers, rent is going down now, at least slightly. But rent in the city is still pretty outrageous if you ask me. I've lived across the bay in Alameda all my life and the rent here seems pretty reasonable by bay area standards (not as cheap as Oakland,perhaps, but the affordable neighborhoods here are A LOT safer than the affordable neighborhoods in Oakland). Although Alameda doesn't have BART, you can bus to a BART station in Oakland, or commute directly to SF by bus (pretty cheap) or by ferry (not cheap, but really pleasant).

Try getting a map of the bay area and a BART map and trying to get a sense of where the best/cheapest/quickest commute might be.

Whatever you do, don't succumb to the idea that you'll save so much money by renting a cheaper place way out in the boonies (that means Vallejo, Castro Valley, Pleasanton, etc.). The commute will eat up your life and your money (keep in mind we have the highest gasoline prices in the country here and BART gets more expensive the further you go). I suggest going for the cheapest place you can afford as close as possible to where you work. Most of the people I know who moved to the outer edges of the bay area to save money have regretted it big time and eventually moved closer to the heart of things.

Good luck!
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.