No. of Recommendations: 0
Hiya gang! Okay, I'm going to go over what is probably well-worn pathway, but I could not find the info in the previous posts. I'm hunting for accounting software. I'm trying to keep the price reasonable, say $150 - $200, and I'd prefer to stay on Mac, but so far it looks like the only things available are either cloud-based (definitely not acceptable), expensive, or Quickbooks. I do not want to run QB for Mac, nor do I wish to run Parallels or BootCamp, as I have been down ALL those paths and did not like any of them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Kathleen
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
Excel or the Spreadsheet of your choice, cross platform, massive abilities, and all under your own personal control...

Excel has been our family choice for years, always archives to look back into if needed, macros, and even a Board here at TMF, besides the ones at MS, others...

Not sure how flexible Numbers is, I've had it a while, just in case, but not really used it..

But Excel is extremely flexible.. Problems, we've collected a lot of Excel books over the years, but really online searches have found answers easier for a long time now..
Kathleen the phrase "accounting software" has a wide range of meanings. It can go from less complex than a check register to something with accounts, P&L, Income statements, etc.

If you give folks a clue what you want to do, you might get more meaningful (or maybe just more) replies.

Gordon
Atlanta
Excel or the Spreadsheet of your choice, cross platform, massive abilities, and all under your own personal control...

Excel has been our family choice for years, always archives to look back into if needed, macros, and even a Board here at TMF, besides the ones at MS, others...

Not sure how flexible Numbers is, I've had it a while, just in case, but not really used it..

???
Excel is great, but you're essentially writing the software yourself .. wo either a major task or build bit-by-bit (as i did over the course of ... EEK! 25 yrs

like you say super-powerfl and super-flexible .... therefore ,imo, steep learning curve.
UNLESS there's good templates?

[ just glanced at Numbers last year and it looked nearly as powerful, but a HUGE pain to convert to
Hey Kathleen,

I agree with Gordon, more specific information on needs could help, but if you haven't checked it out, there are possibly several potential programs available in the Mac app store....maybe to simple, but maybe not...

Mick
Excel is great, but you're essentially writing the software yourself .. wo either a major task or build bit-by-bit (as i did over the course of ... EEK! 25 yrs
like you say super-powerfl and super-flexible .... therefore ,imo, steep learning curve.
UNLESS there's good templates?

Yes, long term commitment, but you remain in control... And if it's too much, the local Mac User Group likely has an Excel guru or two willing to do the initial setup if you can't find an open, unlocked template as the starting point.. DW learned on the job, in a production/planner/scheduler job, so we'd bounce ideas back and forth, find answers, never been stumped. My own needs more modest, so modest that after a decade of retirement, many projects have faded into the archives. But, DW uses Excel constantly, what/if's, budgeting, financial management, to where I've dropped back to reviewer status, but if need be I know I can take over..

Same sort of thing with databases, Filemaker in particular, like Excel, extremely flexible, and again, there are a lot of gurus around that could do the initial setup, but if you do it yourself over time, you learn, know where to poke and prod... That beats relying on a third party to update, fix, maybe explain... it's been a solid winer for ages, never has crashed, like Excel...

Visicalc was my first entry into spreadsheets, they've come a long way.. Magic!

weco
Visicalc was my first entry into spreadsheets, they've come a long way.. Magic!

wow. i thought having started with Excel in '85 made me an old-timer

i recall seeing a demo of Visicalc in 70-something .... and yes, MAGIC!

[my only complaint with Excel is sometimes a new version eleminates or greatly changes a feature i use ... finding the work-around or learning to live without can be a pain.

but sometimes they come back.... i don't even remember what it was, but going from 2004 to 2008 was looking like a nightmare because of some change ....that was un-done for 2011
No. of Recommendations: 2
I used VisiCalc and VisiDex on an Apple II back in '78 to manage my insurance sales. I was running rings around the insurance company's H-P mini computer. LOL

I had so much fun that I gave up insurance and became a Apple reseller instead.

Denny Schlesinger
Indeed, Visicalc piqued my curiosity, back in those Apple ][ days... Wanted to see how it worked, internally so that any cell, anywhere can reach, affect anywhere else! Never has been clear, other than multitudes of variables, it twist my brain too much..

That was in the days of the SF Apple Core, several went on bravely to careers in computing... fun times... And it still is, mainly... like reading system logs to see why weird messages repeat.. the fix was a Safe boot, followed by a normal boot.. then I had no sound, muted, but grayed.. Another reboot to fix that! Still fun after all these years...

weco
No. of Recommendations: 3
Let me give you a brief run down of my saga and you might reconsider doing BootCamp, Parallels, or Fusionware.

Had old PC that I did Quicken '05 on. Had tons of data/info. Fast forward to '07, I've gone Mac, hated all options to that point. Did the VM Fusionware route to keep running Quicken '05. Fast forward to this year. Bought a new iMac. BootCamp no longer supported my old version of Windows. Didn't feel like paying $$$ to update to new Windows and new VM Fusionware. Didn't like ANY current options for Mac software, and I tried a few free versions. All options seemed like I'd loose/all some data. No big deal other than that there are some things I'd like to see a 10 year tread while planning for retirement.

So, long story short, I have a outdated Macbook laptop that I use only for running Quicken '05. Works for me, might not work for your situation. Still wondering why Intuit (or who ever) insists on making a crappy Mac version of their software.

JLC
I can sure relate to your situation,JLC - only in my case I've been running Quicken '04 since that date ;) mine runs on VmWare/Windows XP and is getting a bit too buggy and I'm not planning on updating either that version or VmWare.

I'm almost at the end of a 30 days free trial of iBank, and have been double entry to both systems just because I'm paranoid. At this point, since my needs are simple, it looks like I'LL make the switch to ibank,leaving the old Quicken just where it is for historical purposes. Of course, when the time comes (perhaps soon) for a new iMac, i will lose all that data (although its all backed up on CD's. And, should there be some sort of total emergency I can probably use DH's old (unused) Dell pc to view it all again, if necessary.

My story.....FWIW
I'm almost at the end of a 30 days free trial of iBank, and have been double entry to both systems just because I'm paranoid. At this point, since my needs are simple, it looks like I'LL make the switch to ibank,leaving the old Quicken just where it is for historical purposes.

You may not want to bother, but from what I've read about iBank, you can import Quicken data via a qif file if you want to keep it all in one place.

Karen
yep, that appears to be true - however Quicken version 2004 (which is what I'm using) doesn't have QIF files. Only QData.Idx, etc......I've tried.

Thx, karen
You may not want to bother, but from what I've read about iBank, you can import Quicken data via a qif file if you want to keep it all in one place.

Unless I'm looking at things wrong, my version of Quicken '05 only has QDF, QEL, and QPH files. I think that's why I'd loose all/most of my data if I upgrade. Unless there is a way to convert that I don't know about.

JLC

Unless I'm looking at things wrong, my version of Quicken '05 only has QDF, QEL, and QPH files. I think that's why I'd loose all/most of my data if I upgrade. Unless there is a way to convert that I don't know about.

That's interesting - I had Quicken 2001 for Mac and I was able to export in QIF format and then import into Quicken 2007. I'm not sure if Intuit dropped QIF between 2001 and 2004/2005 or whether it's a Mac/Windows issue.

Intuit has instructions for how to export data in QIF files but they're vague about which versions of Quicken support them.

http://quicken.intuit.com/support/help/convert-quicken-for-w...

Karen
I have a small business and find MYOB (for Macs only I think) to be ideal. I can enter everything from receipts and checking account interactions plus income and it creates my income statement, balance sheet, as well as all the backup I need for my accountant to do my taxes.

There are one or two things I found counter-intuitive but once learned, had no further problems.

Mara
Kathleen the phrase "accounting software" has a wide range of meanings. It can go from less complex than a check register to something with accounts, P&L, Income statements, etc.

If you give folks a clue what you want to do, you might get more meaningful (or maybe just more) replies.

My apologies, I consider "accounting" to be a business specific term, whereas I consider "home finances" to be the terminology when discussing things other than business-related finances.

I am looking for business accounting software. I used Quickbooks for a while way back when, but quite honestly, I'm sick and tired of Intuit deciding to issue an update to "new & improve" the things to the point where I have a whole new learning curve just because they are bored. I would prefer for the software to have an iOS component, but that is less mandatory and more "really, really want". I really do not want something cloud-based such as Sage, and I truly do not wish to use anything Windows based because, as I posted earlier, I've gone all those routes and if I want to use Windows, I have 4 Windows systems here already.

I can use Excel, but I do not want to spend the time tweaking and setting up the books in Excel when I quite certain there has to be something out there that will handle this without wasting my time treading a path that has already been blaze by others that are probably much more competent than I. I also really want something that will have an iOS interface and since Excel does not have an iOS interface, that would be a bit difficult.

I may try Numbers, but again, that boils back to I do not want to duplicate something someone else has already done. Everything in life costs either time or money, and right now, the money is an easier payment.
KMS
I have a small business and find MYOB (for Macs only I think) to be ideal. I can enter everything from receipts and checking account interactions plus income and it creates my income statement, balance sheet, as well as all the backup I need for my accountant to do my taxes.

There are one or two things I found counter-intuitive but once learned, had no further problems.

BTW, thank you for giving me an answer. I appreciate that.
Kathleen