Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
This is not a strategy question, simply one of taxes, so perhaps it's inappropriate here. I apologize in advance if that is the case. I also order any reader of this not to do any research about which he/she has not had her/his interest piqued. I am merely asking a favor of someone with knowledge. Until 2009 I had been a bond fund clone, but last year purchased some individual bonds. I understand accrued interest, and how one deals with it on Schedule B. The IRS site explains the procedure quite well, but does not address the following issue: while I think I wait until next year's tax return to subtract the accrued interest I have paid on bonds on which I did not receive interest in 2009, I am not certain; I did pay the money in 2009, and my 1099-INT lists an accrued interest total. It's logical both ways, and in the end makes no quantitative difference, but I want to do this correctly. Thanks in advance, just for reading.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.