Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Ace says:"These little Volt like cars are limited to niche markets, not creating raves, and obviously not satisfying great droves of consumers. Consumers want a "driving machine" like BMW, or like Tesla, or if they are going to spend for economy, then a Corolla is more affordable, gives the range they desire, and even at that (as I used to buy Corollas) they want it designed with some style and perception of fun/sexiness.

The Volt just does not have it."
Full disclosure: I own a Volt. :-) And I think it's sexy.

I can imagine a similar comment being made about Volkswagon and Toyota vis-a-vis large American cars in the fifties. But when gas got expensive, those small cars became a lot more attractive. Climate change is real, and fossil driven cars are part of the problem. Musk knows that, and hopes to be the solution when sane policy puts a tax on fossil fuel so that we can't continue to use the atmosphere as a toxic waste dump for free.

I am a home builder, and the Volt saves me $3700/year on gasoline versus riding around in an empty pick-up truck.(The charge is from solar panels on my roof.) And it worked great on gas when I had to take it on a trip from NY to Boston, which is the advantage it has over the Nissan Leaf. Tesla probably overvalued, but I bought a small amount just because it is the right thing to TRY to do. I wish them luck, and I'm willing to put my chips on their spot.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.