Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 7
t-rump made a call to Faux News Wednesday evening, launching into his usual rambling talking points from the past.

In one of the strangest moments of the interview, rump revived his grievances against windmills, this time however claiming they “kill everything.”  

Apparently his hatred of windmills stems from his attempt to disallow windmills which he maintained would ruin the view from his golf course properties in Scotland. Ah ha ….so windmills kill all things along with causing cancer.

Sigh…. can’t make his rants sound less like bad pulp fiction. Lol
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
In one of the strangest moments of the interview, rump revived his grievances against windmills, this time however claiming they “kill everything.”

Must be tough to find oneself an old, obese front—butted carnival barker, descending into senility, being chased by the law, rejected by voters other than the crazy drooling deplorables like oneself.
No. of Recommendations: 0
Unless he's in prison, he may very well run in 2024. And he might even win if he does. His is a cult of personality, and we can't count on Stacy Abrams to save our butts a second time.

I was hopeful we'd have economic collapse before the election. I think the market is in a bubble (and so does Michael Burry, evidently). If it pops during Biden's term, he'll lose in 2024 no matter who's running against him.

Of course, even if The Orange One is in prison, there is his progeny that may very well benefit from the cult. And they're almost as horrible as their progenitor.
New study pinpoints birds of prey as hardest hit by wind farms
www.birdlife.org/worldwide/news/new-study-pinpoints-birds-pr...

Bats, Not Easy to Love, Dying Daily by Thousands
https://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wind-turbines-kill-thousan...

https://renews.biz/52211/german-green-group-lambasts-butendi...
A German environmentalist group has filed a complaint with the European Commission against Germany for allowing the construction of the 288MW Butendiek offshore wind farm. The Berlin-based Nature And Biodiversity Conservation Union claims the project west of Sylt, along with others in the German North Sea, is causing 'massive' damage to bird populations.

Wind farms built to tackle climate change could be final nail in coffin for seabirds, RSPB warns
www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/01/15/wind-farms-built-tackle-...

DB2
No. of Recommendations: 4
No. of Recommendations: 1
https://www.businessinsider.com/cats-kill-more-birds-than-wi......

Pete

To give the devil his due, cats don't kill many seagulls, buzzards, hawks, or other large birds.

CNC
To give the devil his due, cats don't kill many seagulls, buzzards, hawks, or other large birds.

That makes the Devil even more -evil. Species-ism is even more heinous than Racism.
No. of Recommendations: 8
www.birdlife.org/worldwide/news/new-study-pinpoints-birds-pr......

Bats, Not Easy to Love, Dying Daily by Thousands
https://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wind-turbines-kill-thousan......

https://renews.biz/52211/german-green-group-lambasts-butendi......
A German environmentalist group has filed a complaint with the European Commission against Germany for allowing the construction of the 288MW Butendiek offshore wind farm. The Berlin-based Nature And Biodiversity Conservation Union claims the project west of Sylt, along with others in the German North Sea, is causing 'massive' damage to bird populations.

Wind farms built to tackle climate change could be final nail in coffin for seabirds, RSPB warns
www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/01/15/wind-farms-built-tackle-......

Bob, you could strengthen your argument if you link to all the environmental regulations Trump passed to protect wildlife.

PSU
Bob, you could strengthen your argument if you link to all the environmental regulations Trump passed to protect wildlife.

No matter who is president wind turbines kill flying creatures and are especially dangerous to raptors and bats. I didn't know if Tuni knew that.

From 2013 when there was less than half the present wind capacity:
www.kcet.org/redefine/uk-ecologist-wind-farms-driving-birds-....
This hasn't been a great month so far for wind turbine fans in the United Kingdom. First, a report released just before New Years found that many wind turbines' effective lifespans are much shorter than expected. And this week, a respected British ecologist is slamming the wind industry, saying that wind power is "devastating populations of rare birds and bats across the world, driving some to the point of extinction."....

Hambler cites some distressing statistics from sources around the world. Between 6-18 million birds and bats are killed by Spanish wind farms each year Hambler says, including 400 griffon vultures per year just at Navarro. German wind turbines kill at least 200,000 bats per year, depressing populations up to 2,000 miles away. Wind turbines in the U.S. have been estimated to kill 70 bats per installed megawatt per year, on average, says Hambler. That would work out to about 320,000 bats per year in California.

Bat mortality due to wind turbines in Canada
https://wildlife.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/jw...
Based on 4,019 installed turbines (the no. installed in Canada by Dec 2013), an estimated 47,400 bats are killed by wind turbines each year in Canada. Installed wind capacity is growing rapidly in Canada, and is predicted to increase approximately 3.5-fold over the next 15 years, which could lead to direct mortality of approximately 166,000 bats/year.

Long-distance migratory bat species (e.g., hoary bat, silver-haired bat, eastern red bat) accounted for 73% of all mortalities. These species are subject to additional mortality risks when they migrate into the United States. The little brown myotis (Myotis lucifugus), which was listed as Endangered in 2014 under the Species At Risk Act (SARA), accounted for 13% of all mortalities from wind turbines, with most of the mortality (87%) occurring in Ontario. Population-level impacts may become an issue for some bat species as numbers of turbines increase.

DB2
No. of Recommendations: 11
If you really want to protest bird kills, I suggest you go stand out front of a Chick-Fil-A with a sign. Those guys kill *billions* of birds every year.
If you really want to protest bird kills, I suggest you go stand out front of a Chick-Fil-A with a sign. Those guys kill *billions* of bird every year.

Can I get an Eagle Sandwich to go?

DB2
No. of Recommendations: 15
No matter who is president wind turbines kill flying creatures and are especially dangerous to raptors and bats.

Wind turbines do unfortunately kill flying critters, but it is a question of relative risk. This is from the National Audubon Society:

“Wind turbines kill an estimated 140,000 to 328,000 birds each year, but the biggest threat to birds is climate change. More than half of the bird species in North America could lose at least half of their current ranges by 2080 due to rising temperatures. A speedy transition toward a carbon-free economy that includes responsibly-sited and operated renewables is the best way to protect birds and the places they need." https://www.audubon.org/news/secretary-zinke-overestimates-w...

Climate change is anticipated to put half of North American bird species at risk. That's why bird conservation groups like Audubon and the Sierra Club accept the cost of wind turbines. Same reason why we accept the side-effects of the Covid vaccine. In these cases the disease is much much worse than the treatment.

To put things in further perspective, it is conservatively estimated that about 67million birds of all types are killed by pesticides. https://nationalzoo.si.edu/migratory-birds/news/when-it-come...
…and talk to a bird watcher about cats.

David fb
…and talk to a bird watcher about cats.

I guess we don't need no stinkin' eagles. Or hoary bats.

Fatalities at wind turbines may threaten population viability of a migratory bat
www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0006320716310...
Large numbers of migratory bats are killed every year at wind energy facilities....We investigated whether fatalities at wind turbines could impact population viability of migratory bats, focusing on the hoary bat (Lasiurus cinereus), the species most frequently killed by turbines in North America....mortality from wind turbines may drastically reduce population size and increase the risk of extinction....Our results suggest that wind energy development may pose a substantial threat to migratory bats in North America.

DB2

So the wind farms are saving lives! /s
Cats?

In Gilbert there is a "riparian area". More than a park. There used to be ground-dwelling owls there. Feral cats slaughtered them all. No more owls.

https://www.gilbertaz.gov/departments/parks-and-recreation/r...
Cats? In Gilbert there is a "riparian area". More than a park. There used to be ground-dwelling owls there. Feral cats slaughtered them all. No more owls.

One day near Mesa we were having a picnic lunch at a park next to a dry river bed. A cougar/mountain lion came wandering out of the brush. We waited next to our car until he left the area.

DB2

=================================================

But humans kill these large birds with all their plastic garbage, pesticides, and toxic pollution which makes wind turbines a minor problem.

Jaak

==================================================

Yep Trump really (NOT) protected these large birds by promoting:
1) Coal fired power which emit toxic pollutants
2) Oil and gas drilling (onshore/offshore) which release toxic pollutants
3) Toxic chemical dumping in our rivers and lakes
4) Toxic pesticides used on our lands

Jaak
Yep Trump really (NOT) protected these large birds by promoting:
1) Coal fired power which emit toxic pollutants
2) Oil and gas drilling (onshore/offshore) which release toxic pollutants
3) Toxic chemical dumping in our rivers and lakes
4) Toxic pesticides used on our lands

Yes, I think you understood the point I was making. I think Bob did too but he decided to sidestep. Trump is just using the birds as an excuse.

PSU
Yes, I think you understood the point I was making. I think Bob did too but he decided to sidestep.

I understood your point and noted the issue is more than 'Bad Orange Man' (or whoever is president). I purposefully gave you links from 2013 when Mr. O was POTUS and from Europe.

DB2
I understood your point and noted the issue is more than 'Bad Orange Man' (or whoever is president). I purposefully gave you links from 2013 when Mr. O was POTUS and from Europe.

Do of those links support any of Trump's claims that windmills cause cancer, they kill everything, and there huge bird graveyards beneath windmills?

I think maybe the actual issues are less than that. Or did I miss the gist, and you were trying to point out the true issues are trivial compared to Trump's claims in order to make Trump look foolish?
Feral cats are just domestic cats gone wild.

There was a bunch of them of Dana Island (in Dana Point Harbor) being fed by a few bleeding hearts who also built shelters and feeding stations.

Fat and fit, the feral cats were decimating the seabirds, so finally the county had the cats captured and the shelters removed.
Feral cats are (have?) wreaking havoc on the Hawaiian bird population. There were no predators there until the arrival of cats.

CNC
Out of all of the nonnative species that have been accidentally or intentionally introduced, the rat has, and continues to be, one of the most damaging invasive species in Hawaii.

https://www.fws.gov/pacificislands/publications/Ratsfactshee...
jaagu: Out of all of the nonnative species that have been accidentally or intentionally introduced, the rat has, and continues to be, one of the most damaging invasive species in Hawaii.

https://www.fws.gov/pacificislands/publications/Ratsfactshee......

Cockroaches must be high on the list.

CNC
No. of Recommendations: 7
Cockroaches must be high on the list.

I’d say “humans” are far and away #1. But then I have a fairly low opinion of humans; I’ve seen Tucker Carlson’s show.
Hawaii is plagued with invasive species. Their Ag(??) dept is actively trying to address it. In some cases, they deploy traps. They hunt for, and rip out, invasive plants. Etc.

Some of the more damaging species are Formosan termites (mostly damage structures of another invasive species: man), cats, mongoose, pigs, chickens (on Kauai - and for some odd reason they are protected, too), rats, and one particular species of plant (which I don't remember the name of).

I've seen mongoose, pigs, and chickens in Hawaii. Also cats, but not sure if they were feral or not.
I've seen mongoose, pigs, and chickens in Hawaii. Also cats, but not sure if they were feral or not.

Of course the feral cats are descended from imported domestic cats. They also have wild boar, turkeys, goats, wild sheep, and now axis deer have made it from Lanai to the Big Island. I suspect some big island hunting enthusiasts smuggled them across the channel from Lanai.
Care about birds? Care about wildlife?

Habitat destruction and human overpopulation are the biggest problems!
Missouri’s largest wind farm isn’t running at night for fear of killing endangered animals
https://missouriindependent.com/2021/09/09/missouris-largest...
Every night for months, turbines at Missouri’s largest wind farm sit idle to avoid killing endangered and threatened bats....The 175-turbine facility should produce up to 400 megawatts....

Ameren halted night operations for several weeks this spring after four bats, which are nocturnal, and 52 birds, including a bald eagle, were discovered dead on the property....It received a permit in May from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to operate in a way that seeks to minimize the number of endangered or threatened bats it kills each year. But bats kept turning up on the property. So despite Ameren’s good faith efforts to protect the bats, in June, it voluntarily stopped running the turbines at night....

Ameren first sought approval in 2018 for the High Prairie wind farm, which sits in Adair and Schuyler counties in northeast Missouri. Even at that time, some groups raised concerns about the location, given the prevalence of the endangered Indiana bats and threatened northern long-eared bats, both listed by USFWS. The wind farm’s USFWS permit also covers the little brown bat, which is not listed federally but is a “species of conservation concern” for the Missouri Department of Conservation.

DB2
Conkling et al. studied the population vulnerability of 23 priority bird species in California. These included species such as the white-tailed kite, golden eagles, western yellow-billed cuckoos and the greater roadrunner. 48% of the species were found vulnerable.

The authors write:
"Effects of renewables extended far beyond the location of energy production to impact bird populations in distant regions across continental migration networks. Populations of species associated with grasslands where turbines were located were most vulnerable to wind. Populations of nocturnal migrant species were most vulnerable to solar..."

Vulnerability of avian populations to renewable energy production
https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/full/10.1098/rsos.211...

DB2