No. of Recommendations: 0
I'm suddenly seeing a msg in the lower right asking me to "Activate Windows" by going into the Settings area. I've been using WIN10 on this machine for maybe a year or so and not seen such a warning. What could be driving this and should I be concerned?
Print the post Back To Top
I'm suddenly seeing a msg in the lower right asking me to "Activate Windows" by going into the Settings area. I've been using WIN10 on this machine for maybe a year or so and not seen such a warning. What could be driving this and should I be concerned?

I am by no means an expert on Microsoft Windows, but I do have Windows 7 Professional on my machine, and have run Windows XP Home and Windows 95 on computers in the past.

I would be very concerned about this "Activate Windows" message. I would worry that it is some infernal pest that may result in your machine being compromised or worse. Make sure your virus scanner has checked this. Perhaps Malwarebytes should be run on it as well. Try very hard to find out if it came directly from Microsoft, and preferably find out what it does before using it.
've been using WIN10 on this machine for maybe a year or so and not seen such a warning. What could be driving this and should I be concerned?
Apply any updates recently? This wouldn't be the first time MSFT screwed the pooch and caused an inadvertent deactivation. If so, they usually self-heal within a week or two.
No. of Recommendations: 2
I'm suddenly seeing a msg in the lower right asking me to "Activate Windows" by going into the Settings area. I've been using WIN10 on this machine for maybe a year or so and not seen such a warning.

A couple of thoughts because I just couldn't resist:

a. If you are already using Win10 then, "Activate Windows" is nonsense. Ignore it.

b. At the same time, Win10 is not a real Operating System - it is a front, a way to spy on you and your computer activity.

c. A valid Operating System does not need a dozen updates a week!

Good luck.

-=Ajax=-
No. of Recommendations: 1
Ajax,

"A valid Operating System does not need a dozen updates a week!"

I agree.

I unplugged the ethernet cable my Win 10 box, disabled the ethernet card and WiFi interface and it hasn't been an issue since!

The box is noticeably faster now, Quicken stopped trying to get me to upgrade to the cloud version and a lot of other software isn't hammering the internet at startup for updates or "tracking."

I should have unplugged it years ago ...

Gene
All holdings and some statistics on my profile page
http://my.fool.com/profile/gdett2/info.aspx
Activation headaches and one final update destroyed the usability of DW's Vaio PC, I forget now what Win it was, but in any case it was the last straw... Way too much "security" gaming, instead of fighting it, we left that world...

Still own/rent MS Office for Excel/Outlook/Word, but that's it...

weco
Activation headaches and one final update destroyed the usability of DW's Vaio PC, I forget now what Win it was, but in any case it was the last straw... Way too much "security" gaming, instead of fighting it, we left that world...

Excel and Word from MS Office 2007 work just fine on Linux with PlayOnLinux. Access has to be installed in a separate emulated machine with some different settings. There's nothing else in Office that I care about.
With all of the other weird stuff you have going on I would suggest you open up a thread over at Bleeping Computer and see if any of the windows experts can help you sort it all out.

Excel and Word from MS Office 2007 work just fine on Linux with PlayOnLinux. Access has to be installed in a separate emulated machine with some different settings. There's nothing else in Office that I care about.

Well, I was an Apple user from Apple ][+ days, so always used them for personal playtime, n into Macs, etc.. And, luckily also invest a chunk way back as well, so again, also used Office, sans Access on my Macs, DW used PCs at her work, so we kept one here for her use for a long time.. In the end, swung over to iMacs, etc.. I was tech support for family, couple other households, grandkids, so that get really simplified once I's converted everyone...

I did look at Unix/Linux, but couldn't ask my wife to dive in, I only looked as there were parallels to what I worked in, in the electronic switching machines of WeCo/Lucent... But a tad tedious for me at home...

As long as the Office lease/rental isn't a burden, we're fie with it... Surely a lot better than the early days.. As is Win 10 from what I read..

At 77, it all keeps me busy, active, stirring interests in many things, recent connections with old timer Bell System, Automatic Electric survivors has opened up even more old tales of days gone by... 1960s-2000s have been fascinating times, developments... And still moving on...

Fun times...
wecoguy wrote in jest, but he did make me think about something -- this happened right after an Win 10 update occurred.
"With all of the other weird stuff you have going on ..."

Not really sure what you're talking about. Prior to this, I asked a question about what Superfetch did and if disabling it was important, then later had another question about HTML (which turned out be an oddity in MS Word's creation of HTML files).
I've had this happen to me before and, as was said up-thread, it self-resolved over a few days.

Since you paid for it, I'm sure you'd like it to work. But don't panic, you can still use it until it resolves. I have Win10 running in several Virtual Machines and never bother to activate them because they may run for a few days for testing or I may keep them going for years. They scream to be activated, but I ignore it -- I'm running them on a Linux machine anyway so what can it do other than stop working? Other than customization of the Desktop, everything works fine without activation, even updates.

Ditto for older versions of Office when installed with Play on Linux or CrossOver or presumably Wine (which the former are based on). Office2016 has never worked for me using any of those methods. So it's Office 2010 till the end since standalone Office is going away. If I really need Office 2016, I fire up a Win10 Virtual Machine..... Why insist on Office? -- because I do a lot of work in PowerPoint often created then shared using Windows machines and LibreOffice/OpenOffice all do lousy jobs with presentations -- can't even get the bullets right, let alone match fonts. Forget Master Style Sheet compatibility.

Tired of technology getting in the way of work, but sometime getting around it is work ;-)
I went to "Settings" and the system was able to recover, activating Windows 10 on its own. Also, I was fortunate enough to have saved an old Belarc report so I had that as backup.

But as was said up-thread, this seems to have been induced by an OS update. You'd think MS would have that issue licked by now given how often they send changes.
You'd think MS would have that issue licked by now given how often they send changes.
Hardly. MSFT still hasn't fixed "non-critical" bugs they've known about since the days of 98SE/2k. Lately, though, and particularly with Windows 10, it's gotten to the point where I'm seriously considering making my next build Linux-native, and running a Windows VM rather than the other way around. If only I didn't need my occasional gaming fix :( (Not that I've logged into EVE or WoWS for months, but still...)
Lately, though, and particularly with Windows 10, it's gotten to the point where I'm seriously considering making my next build Linux-native, and running a Windows VM rather than the other way around.

Along those lines, you may be interested in this article by Ray Woodcock:
https://raywoodcockslatest.wordpress.com/2018/07/13/mint-on-...

The second paragraph starts with...
I was motivated in this direction for reasons discussed in another previous post. Briefly, a series of adverse experiences with Windows 10 persuaded me to switch to a Linux system in which I would run Windows (10, 7, and/or XP) in virtual machines (VMs).

I'm looking at Windows VM in a dual boot (Windows 7 & Linux Mint 19.1) with the same objective.

George