No. of Recommendations: 3
Actually, a good point (should re-read my article to make sure it's included). Always take the first cab on the cab cue. Not that I'm beyond trying to skip a long cue (sometimes, hiring a Red Cap porter will do the trick and may be worth the tip), but frequently the cabs not on line have issue which keep them from joining it (not really licensed as cabs, etc., so there are all sorts of bad things that could happen), but at minimum have shown themselves to be dishonest to their "brethren", so what make you think they will treat you fairly?

We have started using Uber/Lyft more frequently and have been very pleased in countries like Vietnam and India. In Europe, they frequently cost more than a taxi. In some countries, such as Indonesia, other similar services are useful. In China, I loaded the DiDi app (same sort of company), but even though it claimed to be an English version, I still don't speak Chinese:-)

By the way, we've used taxis all over the world, sometimes hiring them as sightseeing vehicles (the realistic price which should make a taxi driver happy outside of Europe and the US is about $20 an hour including mileage. With four people "sharing" the cab, if you find a driver who you can reasonably communicate with, it can be very reasonably priced way to do sightseeing.

By the way, over the years, every one of those scams has been attempted on us (some repeatedly, a few unfortunately successfully), so they are worth re-reading on occasion. In that context, I'm probably my most studious student as I constantly re-edit my books to make sure they are up to date and relevant.

Jeff
(Leaving April Fools Day for 2 1/2 months in Europe)
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.