No. of Recommendations: 1

Actually, a move to working as an independent appraiser would likely be an alternative to consider, if she wished. I've known Edith to be very knowledgeable in her field, and such a move would/could be pretty seamless.

Thanks, Bob, for the compliment on my skills.

Of course, the goal is not a new job, per se, it's putting together this professional development plan--things that I can do to develop skills that would benefit me and my current company, and lead ultimately back to management.

I know I'm really over-thinking this. All of the suggestions on this thread have given me some food for thought, and I'm sure the biggest problem here is ME. I've been focused on professional development my whole career, and it just seems so weird to be ASKED to put together a plan, right when I've kind of stepped off the fast track because of a couple of situations. I spent the last 6 years in my last job looking toward the next position, but it didn't materialize. I suppose I sort of gave up, and now there are hints that it could re-materialize? Maybe? I dunno. I do know that at least one skill I DO need to develop is an understanding of my company's politics.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.