No. of Recommendations: 8
Actually, my fixed allocation is to provide a little safety in a dangerous world. It's that simple. If I can make a little money, so much the better, but safety is the main reason I have a fixed allocation.

Individual bonds tend to be safer than individual stocks. A poorly purchased bond will do less damage then a poorly purchased stock. A prudently purchased bond will add less than a prudently purchased stock. Individual stocks tend to be more volatile than individual bonds.

I state the above because there is often this bad idea pitched that sounds an awful lot like "bonds are safe" or "holding some bonds makes my portfolio safer". Neither statement is true. A 60/40 balance of poorly purchased assets purchased at poor prices is a crappy portfolio destined to damage the wealth of the holder. A 80/20 or 20/80 portfolio of high quality assets purchased at good prices is a good portfolio and will increase the odds of a the holder increasing their wealth.

If safety is the priority then you need to buy "safe" assets at "safe" prices. Buying safe assets at risky prices decreases your safety. None of the above completely protects you from short term manic moments that can and will hit both stocks and bonds.

jack
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.