No. of Recommendations: 1
Actually, no.

The odds that a universe could exist that would allow us to survive is 1.00. Because we're living in it now.

Note that most of this universe is actually exceedingly hostile to our form of life. Even on our own planet we could not survive in most places without considerable technological assistance. Venture out into the solar system and it's instant death just about everywhere. Go beyond that and it's not any better (there may be habitable planets out there somewhere...probably are given the vastness of just this galaxy). The amount of this universe that would not kill us instantly is vanishingly small.

Is there "a chance" there's a deity? Sure. I'd put it right up with the chance that there's a teapot orbiting Saturn right now. I cannot disprove either claim, but neither do I have reason to believe either claim. Without a reason to believe the claim it is irrational to believe it. The burden of proof is on the one making the claim, and that isn't me. If you make the extraordinary claim that there's a teapot orbiting Saturn, or that there's a deity *somewhere*, you will need to bring extraordinary evidence.

Of course, this is trespassing a bit on our discussion on the other board. But that's OK. Wanted to get a reply in before I have to disappear for a while.

1poorguy
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.