No. of Recommendations: 1
Actually there are 20 in the series. Patrick O'Brian died while writing the 21st.

It's impossible to describe what makes the series great, but if you like to read I urge you to at least give the first in the series (I think it was "Master and Commander") a try; if it's not your cup of tea, nothing lost, but if you like it (as most people do) you have a year or two of great reading to look forward to.

As a bona fide POB fanatic, I want to take slight issue with the above advice. Master and Commander can be hard to read. O'Brian put in an incredible amount of description of the ship and battles (my eyes really glazed over at times). He was never so descriptive in his later books.

Besides, in many ways it's really the story of Maturin and James Dillon. I don't think O'Brian thought about making it a series at the time he wrote it. I do recommend you slog through it. The next in the series is "Post Captain" and there you hit paydirt. They only get better and better.

Thuvia
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.