Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Actually, you should be able to select any security with option coverage and buy Calls in one account and Puts in the other - this is a common options strategy sometimes referred to as a long straddle strangle, sans the multiple accounts. The Put and Call positions should be almost exactly offsetting; but however you construct it, you stand to loose everything on both positions.

this is one of the first things i thought of, and it's pretty good, but violates the "riskless" condition needed to qualify as arbitrage.

you can refine this by selling the same straddle outside the roths, in a regular taxable account... that way, if you lose on the long straddle, you've just effectively made a tax-free distribution (minus the commissions/fees/bid-ask spreads)... and if you still have excess capacity to make tax-deferred contributions, you can just recycle the profits on the short straddle right back into your traditional IRA, making the whole thing a wash...

...but this is getting back into the "too rickety/too many moving parts" territory.

Finally, you have the problem of finding a broker that will let you buy any option contract in a cash account - as all IRAs are required to be.

interactive brokers is of course the premier broker for letting you do any stupid, imprudent, fantastically risky speculation that is actually legal, so they are the go-to name for this kind of scheme.

optionsXpress also lets you trade options inside IRAs.

long options are no problem in IRAs custodied at either of those brokerage houses, i believe... although i should disclaim that i've never actually tried to do this.

trp
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.