Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Actually, Zoom is late to the game. Google and Skype both beat them, in terms of who was earlier. For whatever reason, to their credit, Zoom has caught up to them. As another said, it has become a verb (like "Skype" was, and probably still is). I have one doctor that used Zoom for a tele-med, others are using something called doxy.me. Yes, between us we have had several tele-meds. Among medicos that seems to be more popular (maybe HIPPA compliant?).

But, if we take Skype, Zoom went from zero to a major player in just a few years. Skype was there first. Skype worked. Now Zoom works. Skype had no moat, and someone either did it better or it just "caught on" for some reason. Good for Zoom, but the tables could turn on them just as easily.

At my office we use Teams for tele-meetings. Everyone has Teams on their computers. I don't know what we pay for licensing, but my company is notoriously cheap so it's probably not a lot compared to others. It's on everyone's computer, and was rolled-out about a year ago. I never use it (don't have a microphone at my desk**), but it's there.

As for the other poster's comment about betting against Saul: I'm not betting against anything. I'm not shorting, the OP was. I do not base my investments on what Saul (or the others) say. I can mimic their trades, but then I really would be betting (on them being right). I'm relatively new to that board, but am only getting ideas from them. I still do my own due-diligence. I don't invest in something I don't understand, or in something where I'm uncomfortable with their armor. ZM is the latter. My wife is in chemo, so she actually has face-to-face with doctors. I'm not allowed in. She connects with me with her phone via Google. Works great, and it's free. Again, Netscape comes to mind. I make no claim to investing guru-dom. I could be (and have been) wrong. But one piece of advice I once received was that if your investments make you lose sleep, then you're in the wrong investments. I would lose sleep over that one.

And I'd especially lose sleep over shorting that one. I don't think its valuation is justified, but the market is not always rational. Unlimited down-side potential in a short. But it could come crashing down. That's the bet. Which is more like gambling than investing, so I don't do it.

1poorguy

**I do have one at home, but I make it a strict rule not to install work stuff on my personal computer. IS then wants to "secure" it, and I don't want them touching it.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.