Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
AF4L, it's always nice to be complimented! Thank you so much for your kind words.

I like to share what I know; it gives me the sense that I have helped somebody with a question/problem that I had to find out the answer to "the hard way" in the pre-internet days (through courses at the College of Hard Knocks.)

I also like to challenge myself for what I do know, versus what I think I know and turns out I have to go look up. (And of course, I get it just plain wrong from time to time!)

I have mentioned this before, but a favorite financial company of mine is Charles Schwab. (They don't do student loans, however.) Schwab started out as a discount broker in 1975, ('74 maybe), with the idea that investing should be "demystified", and laypeople should be given the tools and resources to do their own investing. Schwab also wasn't impressed by a lot of the antics played on Wall Street (--particularly, the houses not putting the investor's interests first.)

As a customer, I came to discover that, by people doing it themselves, two things happen: a) they can invest a whole lot cheaper, and more of their return stays with them, and b) they become more confident about the whole exercise, the more knowledge they gain.

Schwab ( www.schwab.com )started out as like a five person firm, and now is this 25,000 person powerhouse with about $800 billion invested with them. They don't sell on commission, and when they give advice, they strive for the highest quality. The trading commissions and account minimums aren't the lowest in cyberspace, but the overall package (service, access, mutual fund availability, etc.) is great. I even get a magazine every month or so, with plenty of stuff on investment education.

It would be great if this board could be along that line, where everyone shares what they know (or asks questions that are gonna get folks involved), and it just turns into this must-use resource for student loan borrowers.

I don't think there's one like this yet on the internet.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.