Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings!
What is a purl stitch in afghan stitch? I like making afghans, dislike the curling.
Sandy

""When I was making an afghan using afghan stitch (which always curls unless you do the first row in purls) and had the curling problem, I rolled it up in the other direction - against the curl - then pinned it with one of those big stitch holders. Seemed to work fine.
Nancy ""
Print the post Back To Top
What is a purl stitch in afghan stitch? I like making afghans, dislike the curling.

Hi,

This site has some instructions. The author of the site says she still had a lot of curling. But when I made the monster (a king-sized afghan) I simply rolled each strip against the curl, and when I finally unrolled them they were nice and straight.

http://tutorials.crochetcabana.com/ltc-tunisian.htm

Did you know there are about 50 variations of Afghan stitch? The only reason I know is that I found a Leisure Arts book with a sampler of all 50.

Nancy
Greetings!
Hrmph! I never had any idea there were any variations - let alone a purl variety! I just figured it was a variety of crochet. Live and learn.

Thanks for the information!
Sandy
Hrmph! I never had any idea there were any variations - let alone a purl variety! I just figured it was a variety of crochet. Live and learn.

Oh, they have all sorts of variations. Twisted afghan, and knit, and twisted purl, and combos and clusters and diamonds and shells and branches and teardrops and . . .

Soon as the current projects are finished (one is a Christmas present from last year) I'm going to start experimenting.

Nancy
and it makes a nice background for cross-stitching, too.