Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 4
After 4 more years of Obama and his putting his 'radically transforming the country' policies this is what we'll have country wide....from his legacy

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2211498/Detroits-ama...

Pretty depressing........ but didn't he save 'the auto industry'? Guess he forgot to save 'the motor city'.....

t
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
I find Detroit absolutely fascinating (I do have a morbid streak). If I could find someone to go with me who would be willing to act as my bodyguard, I would love to go take a tour of Detroit's ruins.
No. of Recommendations: 1
I find Detroit absolutely fascinating

Are you George Romero in real life?
"I find Detroit absolutely fascinating" - andrew
----------------------------------
"Are you George Romero in real life?" - lowstudent

My favorite part of Detroit when I visited there was Greektown. It was fun and the food was good and it was reasonable. We stayed at the Renaissance Center and went to a restaurant called The Boar's Head or something like that and I didn't like it as much as I liked eating in Greektown. I think Detroit was also where the girls in our party wanted to go to a French Restaurant and it was expensive with small portions and I was not impressed. It may have been Cincinnati, Ohio though? Our AALAS meetings were always in ratty towns.

Artie
I have such fond memories of Detroit because at one time I was wildly in love with a guy with whom I dined at nearly every fine restaurant (London Chop House, Caucus Club, etc.) in the city, including a speakeasy style place located in an alley with no sign out front. Inside was about 12 tables and the most magnificent food. I wouldn't even be able to find it today, if it even still exists, but it was memorable. Then we walked across the street to the Renaissance Hotel....
My favorite part of Detroit when I visited there was Greektown. It was fun and the food was good and it was reasonable. We stayed at the Renaissance Center and went to a restaurant called The Boar's Head or something like that and I didn't like it as much as I liked eating in Greektown. I think Detroit was also where the girls in our party wanted to go to a French Restaurant and it was expensive with small portions and I was not impressed. It may have been Cincinnati, Ohio though? Our AALAS meetings were always in ratty towns.

Artie

I like Cincinnati and find it full of charm and character and not "ratty" at all. (Well, maybe some parts...)

Too socially conservative a town for me, though. I'll always remember Cincinnati as the city where the police shut down the Robert Mapplethorpe exhibit.
I like Cincinnati...

Too socially conservative a town for me

That's what being a stone's throw from Kentucky will do for ya.

I'll always remember Cincinnati as the city where the police shut down the Robert Mapplethorpe exhibit.

Synchro! I'm currently reading the book Just Kids, the autobiography of Patty Smith, the rock star who brought us such hits as Gloria (after Van Morrison did it first) and Horses. She put on a pretty dang good show when we saw her in the 70s in Minneapolis.

Anyway, she was good friends with Mapplethorpe before either had been discovered and lived with him for some years. She's still with him in the part I'm reading right now.

--fleg
I'll always remember Cincinnati as the city where the police shut down the Robert Mapplethorpe exhibit. - andrew

-----------

I remember it as the city that had that wacky radio station drop live turkeys out of a heliocopter at some Thanksgivings event.
I'll always remember Cincinnati as the city where the police shut down the Robert Mapplethorpe exhibit.

And wasn't it also Cincinnati where there was a big riot at a Who concert and some fans got killed? My memory is hazy on that -- it could have been Cleveland and it could have been Fleetwood Ack, featuring Stevie Oinks.

--fleg
"It may have been Cincinnati, Ohio though? Our AALAS meetings were always in ratty towns." - Art
-----------------------------
"I like Cincinnati and find it full of charm and character and not "ratty" at all. (Well, maybe some parts...) Too socially conservative a town for me, though. I'll always remember Cincinnati as the city where the police shut down the Robert Mapplethorpe exhibit." andrew

--------------

Our meetings were rarely in cool places like Orlando, San Diego, San Francisco, etc. About the coolest nicest town we had a meeting in was Chicago. We spent a week there one year at an AALAS meeting. Oh, on second thought we did have a meeting in Denver, CO one year. That was pretty nice too.

The year before I started they went to San Antonio, Texas and I was told that was a really nice place to have a meeting. Everyone liked it there. Good food and nightlife.

I went to Baltimore one year and we went to the Harbor and the aquarium. Went to a meeting in Boston one year. That was okay. Ate a giant lobster there which was paid for by Pharmacal. That was amazing.

I had to fly to all these places. Not fond of flying but I just sucked it up and did it because it was part of my job. Going to the yearly AALAS meeting was obligatory.

Artie
"I remember it as the city that had that wacky radio station drop live turkeys out of a heliocopter at some Thanksgivings event" - bighairymike

"I swear to god I thought turkeys could fly." <grin!>

Artie