No. of Recommendations: 1
After doing a 1031 is each party required to hold the properties received for a certian [minimum] time period before selling it outside of a 1031 ?

No - there is no holding period requirement.

I understand that I would then have to pay the capial gain tax which would be the difference between the price it was last figured on and what I would sell it for now.

Right - I think. A 1031 exchange is just tax deferred, not tax free. The gain on your old property is just deferred until you sell the replacement property.

Clear as mud ?

Yep. I'm wondering about the things you're not saying. Like why would you go to the trouble of doing a 1031 exchange if you're just going to turn around and sell the replacement property outright. And just to make it clear, you don't need to be concerned about what the other party does with the property you gave up.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.