No. of Recommendations: 2
After more than a year of dithering, I bought CVS shares today @ ~$54/share.

My purchase was driven in part - and this may be telling - I *slightly* *reduced* my required "margin of safety" for CVS. I had previously required a *very large* margin of safety requirement to purchase CVS because of the concerns outlined in this thread (Aetna merger, viability of retail/PBM in a single entity, etc.) However, a review of my investing process the past few months convinced me (maybe falsely?) that my prior margin of safety requirement for CVS was too high - so I lowered it. FWIW, my margin of safety requirement for CVS is still higher than my default purchase approach.

As importantly, CVS stock price hit multi-year lows so my lower margin of safety meant I was comfortable making a purchase.

A few post-purchase justifications:
* CVS appears to be enticing with the current BMW graph: https://invest.kleinnet.com/bmw1/stats16.prev/CVS.html but that wasn't a major factor in my purchase.
* CVS continues to show up the high ROE/low prices Joel Greenblatt "Magic Formula" screen ( https://www.magicformulainvesting.com/Screening/StockScreeni... )

I still think this is a beast of a company that will be challenging to get right and maneuver as needed - but I do believe the stock price more than reflects that risk.

-Jeff
Long CVS
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.