No. of Recommendations: 0
This may seem like a silly question to some, but it really isn't to me. Is there such a thing as a AFTER Retirement Investing Board!!?? Thanks. Have a great day. Saml.
Print the post Back To Top
Is there such a thing as a AFTER Retirement Investing Board!!??

I could interpret this one of two ways--maybe if you tell us which way is correct ...

1. You want to invest for after your retirement. This means investing for the benefit of your beneficiaries (e.g., family, friends, charitable organizations).

2. You want to invest more than you are allowed to put into your "salary deferral" programs [401(k), 403(b), etc.] and Roth IRA.
I'd make a 3rd interpretation:

3. You want to manage your portfolio during retirement. Usually, someone says, "I'm retired" and I could take that to mean the act of retirement is done and so this is after retirement investing.

JB
3. You want to manage your portfolio during retirement.

I know Morningstar has an "Investing DURING Retirement" board, but not an "Investing AFTER Retirement."

Maybe that "AFTER" is what is confusing me. 8)
No. of Recommendations: 1
How about the Retired Fools board: http://boards.fool.com/Messages.asp?id=1370006000000000

Here's an excerpt from TMFBogey's post #1:
One thing we've realized at the Fool is that we don't spend nearly enough time discussing topics near and dear to the hearts of retirees. Sure, we discuss lots of ways to save for and invest for retirement, but what they heck should you do IN retirement? What special situations do you have?

If you're not aware of it, another very interesting (and active!) board is The Retire Early Home Page:
http://boards.fool.com/Messages.asp?id=1380025000000000

Suggest you lurk around these boards for a while and see if the topics being discussed interest you.

Phooley
My question was in reference to investing after one retires. I have lurked around this board for some time now and there is a great deal of very good info on IRAs, Roth IRAs, 401Ks, 403Bs, etc, etc, etc. All very good, but a guy like me, being retired, cannot participate in these type vehicles. Yet I still have an investment portfolio in which I am trying to grow my retirement nest egg. The posts I read here are not really applicable to my circumstance. I was wondering if another board would be more informative to people AFTER they are retired. Have a great day. Saml.
Hey, wait, whoah! I thought this was the board for people who are a long way from retirement to find out the best ways to get there! Now you say I have to be retired before I'm allowed in ?!?
jrr7---- Nope, didn't say that. What I'm saying is, I think I'M on the wrong board. Have a great day. Saml.
for Saml:

Did you find discussions of managing assets during retirement? Here's a reference
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?id=1380520000022000&sort=id that might be of some use to you, regardless of what size your portfolio is today.

the grizzled Chips, happily retired for seven years