Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I have a tax question on a withdrawal from my 401K. I have asked the trustee of the 401K and called the IRS and have not gotten an answer that makes sense. I have always filled out my own taxes so I don't have a CPA but I may have to get one this year.

I calculated my taxes as far as possible and it came out I could draw up to $22,000 from my 401K without paying any tax on my Social Security.
I don't know how to ask this without giving the amounts.

From my latest 401K Account Statement:
Employee After-Tax $72,087.39
Pre-87 After-Tax Contributions $ 4,680.00
Post-87 After-Tax Contributions $ 840.00
Total Non-Taxable Contributions $ 5,520.00

I withdrew $22,000 from my 401K. On the statement that came with it.
Value of Total Distribution $22,000.00
Federal and State Taxes were withheld
After Tax Contribution $ 4,864.09

My question is if the $4,864.09 is taken off on the $22,000 Distribution, or will I only take a percentage of it off this year. If I must take it all this year then I could take more money out this year without paying tax on my SS.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.
Bill

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.